User Tag List

Thread: Dialogue Speed

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dialogue Speed

After searching around for a while, and not finding anything, I decided to ask my question.

In certain games where the dialogue is "said" by being typed as it goes, sometimes there will be a pause/the dialogue speed will change. How might that be accomplished? Examples of this can be found in Cave Story, or The Underside. Just two off the top of my head.

PS. Is the search messed up? No matter what I put in the regular search, it always gives me the same results.

'Preciate the help.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Dialogue Speed

There is a typewriter example on my website. You may be able to alter that for what you want.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is also a dialogue tutorial in the Tutorials section in the nav bar on the right. I covers a lot of things to do with in game dialogue as well, including how to get words to type out in a dialogue box.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In those examples above, you could simply modify the routine that types out the dialogue and make a special case for a certain character that's never used in the text, to signal that this character shouldn't be printed and instead should give that pause that you're after. (If you're feeling really clever you could even set it up so that it can look at the characters ahead of it as well to determine the length of the pause.)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Nivram - I looked at your typewriter example, and as far as I can remember it's pretty similar to the dialogue tutorial. I've read that, I'm just unsure of how to accomplish what I'm going for.

Mobichan - Yes, thank you. I've read that, and I don't think it goes into detail how to do on pauses and faster parts of dialogue. I appreciate your help though.

DavidN - I think this idea would work, although I'm just not sure how to do this right now haha. I have an idea of a possible method involving lots of variables, but I really have the problem of where I tend to overcomplicate things. By a loong shot. Could you possibly give me a brief explanation as to how I might go about this?

The basic dialogue method just slowly adds to the string displaying the text in the box the player sees. Every -however many milliseconds- it adds one to the length of the string. Maybe I'm not thinking outside the box but I'm not sure how to actively modify that without making my head hurt from complications.

Thanks.