User Tag List

Thread: [Request] Picture encryption

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Request] Picture encryption

Hello! I'm not sure if this is possible or does exist. I am making pretty large pictures, which are my map and my collision map. Now the problem is that I need to edit them and so on, but I don't want people to change the pictures. So is it possible to somehow encrypt the picture, so the application could only load and edit them?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [Request] Picture encryption

Currently there's not a way to do it except embedding the image into your application. However, if I were you I wouldn't worry about this.

* Don't protect people against themselves, if they want to cheat, they probably have a good reason to. My savegame system is for example always open, because if people have to modify it to complete the game, it's because I made the game too hard.

* If you're creating an online game, cheat protection should be server side. It's the server that should prevent people to move into the obstacles, because it's easy to hack the client to allow that even if the mask is encrypted.

* Don't worry about people stealing your material. Usually, even commercial games leave the data available for everyone to access, it seems to be one of those things only small developers worry about, yet it's extremely rare that it really happens. By legal reasons, it's a lot more likely that someone steals your game idea than your game assets.

* Don't worry about people creating "mods" of your game. It rarely happens, and if it does it should be an honour. Bad mods doesn't get attention, while good mods does - which also directs more attention to your original game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. Well basicly I don't need them to be crypted, but now I'm making game with diablo style online game. Basicly players make their own dedicated server and connects to them or plays alone. Now the problem is solved, with sub-applications and I hope they work. The problem is that it is orpg, but it doesn't have the possibility to have server which saves the data.

The grypting is problem, because I don't have a clue how to grypt save data into form, that no one can't be edited

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're dealing with an online game, know that you can never protect yourself from anything at client side. Whatever you try, they'll hack it. If you encrypt the savegames, they'll reverse-engineer your application and figure out how the encryption works or just use a memory modifier to change the values once loaded. I added various protection methods to Saira only to signal that people should stay legal, but the fact that key generators and level demo mode signers showed up pretty much as soon as the game was out confirmed that it's impossible to protect something. Think about it; people have cracked Spore and 3D Studio Max, products that are known for their strong copy protections and with lots of people working to making it secure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yepyep, there are these guys. I learned c++ once, because I wanted to memory edit maplestory 5 years back. Well the problem is not that you can hack, but the biggest problem is, that I'm planning to have the save files in peoples computers. Mayby I should chek how it's done in diablo and do that way too. The game has dedicated servers, so people can kick hackers out of the server if they want.

Or then I just hide the save files in windows folder, like people did back in mmf1

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the player has account control enabled you won't be able to change files in the Windows folder from your application.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMonkey
    Mayby I should chek how it's done in diablo and do that way too. The game has dedicated servers, so people can kick hackers out of the server if they want.
    Diablo is really easily hacked. The only protection I've seen in the game is against actually invalid situations, e.g. duplicate items, or characters with stats over the limits.

Diablo II added "closed realm" servers, where the saves are kept on the servers instead. This largely protected against cheaters. The "open realm" servers use character saves from the players, like D1, and are full of cheaters.

Dupe cheats are the easiest, you could get a lot of items or money by backing up a save, going into multiplayer and giving everything away, and then restoring the backup. Easy, you don't even need to edit the save files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NeoMonkey
    Or then I just hide the save files in windows folder, like people did back in mmf1
    This was btw mentioned to be sarcastic joke...

Well what nifflas said, my designer agreed also the fact that if guys want to ruin their game then go on.

The problems that diablo seems to have is a problem. I did think about that option what if... Now I got few ways to do some hackers life a little bit harder

-Maximum ability points, such as speed.
    -Encryption to prevent basic players to edit game files.
    -Start of frame, test size of file.

-Version is saved on .exe --> Need to be patched --> Reset stuff.
    -Random check. Game checks random that for example boss hp is same as it should be in the file --> Crash --> Patch.
    -Old ip list. Character has old ip, so when it will be shared and it has old ip same as someone elses character --> Delete character.

-Pictures and graphics are but into game via library file (sub-application).
    -Level and number of stats doesn't mach --> Delete character.
    -Server keeps track of all the monsters etc data. So the hack must be in servers computer.

And hopefully I will design more ways of doing it.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask why you are using an image for your collisions? Why dont you store all the data in an array file instead and encrypt it with blowfish or something? Then if you really need it as an image, build it at runtime by loading values from the array and drawing pixels to create you image.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i use one big image I can make bigger maps. If the map is 3200x3200, the application could have 10 000+ active objects. Or creating the map with fasloops, would take pretty much time and lots of coding. Instead start of frame -> load picture. I am making mr.mapmaker 2.5 to the projects map editor, so this is the best way of doing big maps.