Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Blackberry TrackBall Support

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Blackberry TrackBall Support

Nokia is the number one cell phone company worldwide. Right now in the US though, they don't have a single top selling phone anymore. I wish they did. When I spent time in Europe last, I was amazed by all the great Nokia devices. In the US, even though i-phone is gaining ground every year, and Android 2.1 is moving units with sleek phones, Blackberry will continue to boast the largest install base for years because:

1) Corporate America is deeply addicted to it
    2) Blackberry is very developer friendly

-I vote for cloning everyone at ClickTeam... :tired:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Nokia has had troubles getting good operator deals in the US which is the key there. In Europe and Asia, the non-subsidized / unclocked market for mobile phones is much bigger and the relationships with the operators also stronger. Especially in Asia Nokia is *huge*. Market share is skyhigh and also Nokia's mobile application store Ovi Store has recently overtaken Apple's App Store which is quite remarkable given the facts that App Store has over 10 times more content and has been live for two times longer with like million times more marketing hype. This is the install base speaking.

Blackberry's mobile application store App World is of course only a fraction of App Store's and Ovi Store's volumes, even though it will surely be stronger in the US market for many years to come than Nokia, but we really should look this from a global perspective. App World is decent, but focusing mostly just on the US market (good purchase power though), providing very limited set of payment methods (Nokia shines here with operator billing support), and shortcomings in embedding the store client to each phone model are issues that makes App World and Blackberry less appealing from (MMF2) developer point of view than some other options available.

I'm not saying that it isn't an interesting option, it's just less interesting than the others, if you look at it pure potential in terms of downloads and revenue that you may be able to get from your app. I would love to see a trackball support for the Blackberry - hopefully Clickteam will develop this - but e.g. keyboard and motion control support for Symbian S60 phones should be a higher priority (see explanation above).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well you convinced me. Only I will add that App World ships with Blackberry phones manufactured in the past few years or so. And, thanks to the frenzied hype for i-phone apps, Blackberry app sales are jumping upward each year too.

For me the appeal of Blackberry is the extensive developer tools and support they provide - directly without cost. I'm thinking it will just be more technically feasible to provide full input support for Blackberry than other phones. We will just have to see.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I'll have to agree MJK that you are correct about the Ovi Store.

I would hope that when the java mobile sdk is released that all of these phones are supported though. The only reason I'm focused on the blackberry at the moment is because that's the only java phone I own.

It does seem faster than other phones I've tested on. (phones I borrowed from friends) BUT,

I'm curious as to how well mmf2 java applications run on the Symbian S60? I'm assuming that's what you are using since you mentioned it. Is it worth buying to test with? Or is there developer tools I can use?

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I looked at OVI store they wanted to get your app officially tested/signed at a testing house. It was just too expensive for me aleast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OVI Store
    S60 Operating System

p.s. Blackberry is ranked 2nd worldwide after Nokia for smart phones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted to bump this with some NPD Smart Phone market share news:

#1) Blackberry Rim #2) Android #3) i-Phone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time flies. Any word on MMF trackball/keyboard support, or should I hold out for MMF Android support?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold out for Android.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3