User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 / Ini / App Data Dir Problem

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 7 / Ini / App Data Dir Problem

I have an application that requires the user to input a path for files to be saved. This path is needed by a number of other helper applications that run as exe files from the main application. In order to save this path, I have created an ini file in the application data directory. The main application saves the path to the ini file and the helper applications read the path from the ini file. This works great in Windows XP. But when I try to run it in Windows 7, the applications either don't open, take a loooong time to open, or crash, depending on their mood. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?
    Any help appreciated.
    Steve

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 7 / Ini / App Data Dir Problem

Is it a 64-bit version of Windows 7. If so, your application would be stored in C:\Program Files (x86) and not C:\Program Files

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MS doesn't want us to store any data in AppData-folder at runtime. If you have MMF2 Dev, you can use the YASO Object to retrieve the path GlobalSharedDocuments$( "YASO Object" ). This path is accessible by all users and should be save to use. Works in XP and Vista, too and also in Win2000, I guess.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

AFAIK there is no difference between Vista and Seven for this folder, so I'm not sure what is your problem Steve.

MS doesn't want us to store any data in AppData-folder at runtime.
    Err... why do you say that JoKa? The AppData folder was made for applications to save their settings.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, because he found out that in Win 7 the global AppData Dir does not longer allow to share the data between all users at the pc.

I cannot test it though. Just followed Joka`s experiments when he tested out this issue. I don`t have Win7 yet. Would be interesting to know if there is another workaround for the problem. Maybe it`s even a overlooked Win7 bug?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yves
    Err... why do you say that JoKa? The AppData folder was made for applications to save their settings.
    Hm, I first thought he wanted to save to the appliaction directory under C:\program files etc., so many similar names...

HOWEVER: so far I used the file object to retrieve AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ) to store data at runtime which should be accessible by all users. In Win7 I had no problems with crashs, but saved files were redirected to a user-specific folder. Isn't this the AppData folder we're talking about?

Of course, it doesn't seem he need's to share data between users, but the path I suggested should work fine anyway, without forcing Win7 to intervene. If he still encounters crashes, there's probably an other kind of problem.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I basically use AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) and AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ) to determine where my program settings should be. The first for savegames and the second for registration info since a serial should work for all user accounts. So far nobody have reported any problems, but if AppDataDirectory$ refers to a location specific to the user in Win7, that is a problem for me, and the last thing I need is to have to add yet another extension (YASO) to my game, I use 14 already.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this problem the other evening and it persisted even after several reboots. Tonight everything is working perfectly. So, I am at a loss to explain what happened.

Yes, the App Data Directory has moved from Docs and Settings in XP to Users in Win 7. In XP I found the folder and file under my user name in the App Data directory. In XP on the server at school the same, but it was a roaming directory so it followed me from one computer to another. In Win 7, it shows up in my user directory but in a folder labeled Roaming. I would guess that each user would have their own App Data directory but have not had the time to make another user to test that theory.

Thanks for all of the comments. It's helped me get a little closer to understanding how these data folders work. Microsoft sure hasn't gone out of it's way to make it simple, that's for sure. I love it how in Win 7, you can't open most of the folders in the Documents and Settings folder. Maybe a little popup box to let you know that they've moved it!

Steve

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, that's unrelated to my question. One thing JoKa said implied that in Win7 AllUsersAppDataDirectory$("File") will point to a location tied to the current user's account rather than being accessible to every user. I want to know if I understood that right or not.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Works fine for me on Windows 7 Nifflas, I've just tested it :

AppDataDirectory$( "File" ) returns C:\Users\User_Name\AppData\Roaming

AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ) returns C:\ProgramData

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast