Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 / Ini / App Data Dir Problem

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 7 / Ini / App Data Dir Problem

Have you tried asking them to install it to "C:\MyApp" instead of "C:\Program Files\MyApp", and set it to use AppPath$ as the serial ini location as a test? (you can put two serial retrievals in. One to check the AppPath$ for the ini, if not found then try %ProgramData%, for future compatibility)

If that works (ini stored in AppPath$, and AppPath$ is NOT "C:\Program Files\"), then it could be due to a permissions issue with %ProgramData%.

You can also ask that they browse to C:\ProgramData\MyApp (when app is installed there) and send the ini to you in an email for troubleshooting. If their ini file isn't there, they don't have write access. If the serial number's not in there, the app either isn't saving it for some reason (might be an anti-virus app stopping it, etc.), OR they don't have permissions to modify the file.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SethAluma
    Have you tried asking them to install it to "C:\MyApp" instead of "C:\Program Files\MyApp"...
    That's it exactly. I think of all the times I've been shot down for having one "KnightTrek Productions" folder on the C root path into which all my programs install into their own individual directories, and yet because I do so I do not suffer from any of the permissions hassles that appeared with the arrival of Windows Vista and 7.

You need to install your program into its own dedicated folder outside of the Program Files folder. This folder will not suffer from any of the permission hassles listed in this thread and your program and its files will be accessable to all users of it.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I prefer my programs to be in "C:\Program Files\", and specifically using %ProgramData% as the save directory (or registry when I can) seems to work for me.
    But I make programs for my own company, so I know what permissions everyone has.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Paul's method.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-1 for Paul's method, I do not want to go behind the OS's built in security features, do non-standard things, and clutter the root drive. There is a reason program files go in Program Files and application data goes in Application Data.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LB
    -1 for Paul's method, I do not want to go behind the OS's built in security features, do non-standard things, and clutter the root drive. There is a reason program files go in Program Files and application data goes in Application Data.
    One folder on the root drive is not cluttering it. And in all fairness, people will only see it if they go to the root path and look and if it helps your program to work, it's not going behind the OS's built in security. I have other commerical programs that install onto the root path. If the OS's security is stopping your prgram from running right when installed within it's Program Files folder, there is no issue with installing outside of that folder.

View full size here: http://www.iol.ie/~pkb/KTP%20Folder.jpg
    KnightTrek Productions

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland
    One folder on the root drive is not cluttering it.
    … in your opinion.

And storing data outside my user directory interferes with my backup concept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corlagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland
    One folder on the root drive is not cluttering it.
    … in your opinion.
    Ok, I'll bow out here since it's an argument that won't sway poeple one or another. But because I don't use the Program Files folder and I have my own dedicated folder for all my software to install into, I do not suffer the security issues raised in this thread and that is FACT.
    KnightTrek Productions

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do the same thing too. I moved all of my stuff into my own folder in the C: root directory. I also avoid these problems.

But its a little far-fetched to ask all of your customers/users to personally NOT install your programs into their programs folder. Its just not reasonable.

Personally, I've always preferred using AppPath$ to keep all application data files within the same directory. It makes it easier too when moving programs around (from computer to computer). I hate when applications save their data all over the place. It also makes it particularly hard to back up your user settings with these programs.

But as I am aware now, straight-out-of-the-box installs of Windows don't like you write files to the AppPath$ directory? Or at least not when its in a protected Windows folder (system32, program files, etc).

So should I use AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ) instead of AppPath$?

Is there a simple way to create a fail-safe that uses both methods? Like, one that checks if the AppPath$ is writable, if not, use AllUsersAppDataDirectory$( "File" ).

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello ,
    I may be wrong , but if you look at build 252 features

- INI object : new "Create INI file in Application Data directory" property. When this option is selected and you enter a filename without pathname, the file is created in an MMF Applications folder in the user's Application Data directory. refer to the documentation for more info.
    your problems regarding INI should be solved , shouldn't they?
    eric

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast