User Tag List

Thread: End of Frame Problems

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of Frame Problems

Whenever my game is closed, I need a temporary directory (full of files that have been created over the course of the game running) deleted. These are my events, covering every possible "End of":

The problem is that the emptying/deleting (both probably isn't necessary) only happens some of the time, which is not good enough. I need these events to trigger every time the game closes.

How can I make this event fire everytime and however the game ends?
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall CreatorUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: End of Frame Problems

I think it's (nearly) impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure it isn't impossible. It's just simply deleting a directory. Some ideas from the Gwerdy chat:

• Create batch file, or second application to run invisibly after the game ends to do the clean up. Not particularly ideal, I'd rather just do it in the game as it quits.

• Run a counter/global value down when the user quits, so the program has more time to delete files. Doesn't make any difference, the temp folder is either deleted immediately, or it isn't at all.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with Sphax's File/Folder object, it seems so random in its success rate here. I would like to try using the File object, but I don't know how to iterate through the subfolders within the temp directory, in order to delete all the files, everywhere (which the File object requires.)

Any other ideas?
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem seems much more complex than it did before.

I went and wrote the equivalent of the Delete Folder with the File Object (using looping and the Tree object to iterate). I get exactly the same sometimes deletes, sometimes doesn't result.

Thing is, for Stephen1980 and Jacob, they both have no problems with the Delete Folder action. What is it about my machine that could affect this?
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDoo
    The problem seems much more complex than it did before.

I went and wrote the equivalent of the Delete Folder with the File Object (using looping and the Tree object to iterate). I get exactly the same sometimes deletes, sometimes doesn't result.

Thing is, for Stephen1980 and Jacob, they both have no problems with the Delete Folder action. What is it about my machine that could affect this?
    did you try refreshing the folder with f5?

it probably won't help but quite often with mass deletions i sometimes do, windows occasionally won't update the folders and show a lot of file icons that technically no longer exist

EDIT: maybe windows/mmf still had handles for those files for some reason and skipped deleting them because of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, refreshing doesn't work. Even a restart won't shift them.

xyzzy, as for the MMF2/Windows using them, I now think this is the reason, the application deletes those files fine if they were created by a previous execution of the application, but usually has problems with deleting them if they were made that execution.

Checking the errors that the file object kindly gives me, I do see that whenever it fails I get an error 13, which according to the help docs means: "Permission denied"

The objects are indeed being used by the application, by easyXML, Scintilla and the Animated Picture object. I have tried to delete these just before closing, but the problem still remains.

How can I remove the handles for the files so I can delete them cleanly?
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Run an invisible app, close, the invisible app waits for close and for 2 secs, then it deletes the files and, once the files have been deleted, close the invisible app.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Write an "on start of frame" to delete the directory, if present, and then to create the temp directory. (This is to ensure an empty directory in case of computer lockups for example where the directory is still present after a restart.)

(Application uses the directory and then deletes the directory based on your code.)

Write an event to shut down the application if the directory is missing "and" the shut down button was clicked.

The removal of the directory becomes the event that then triggers the shut down along with a button click.

Some like this anyway.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by droberson
    Write an "on start of frame" to delete the directory, if present, and then to create the temp directory.
    What if the app is still running and hasn't finnished closing yet? :p
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've found the problem lies with the Animated Picture object 'not letting go' of the .pngs that it opens, despite using the 'Uncache all' action. Files can't be deleted if another program is using them. Have sent a PM to Daniel Rehn, hopefully we can sort it out.
    @MattLuard on Twitter.