Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Java Support for Layers?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobile Java Support for Layers?

I noticed the "Layer Object" is supported for mobile apps, but is it required to perform layer functions? I'm experiencing weird flickering issues using MMF layers in mobile apps. (Similar to flickering issues in non-Java apps: Layer Flicker - which can be resolved by redrawing the frame.)

I lost the list of supported features and extensions for build 249. I know toggling the build type restricts the extensions, but still unclear what MMF features are supported.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Mobile Java Support for Layers?

Normally all the features of the layers are supported.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one in non-java apps can also be fixed by disabling "display as background". An option which causes so many issues I think it should be off by default...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also "force global refresh" in java mobile might help to the flickering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasoft
    The one in non-java apps can also be fixed by disabling "display as background". An option which causes so many issues I think it should be off by default...
    Well you won't get any argument with me there, I'm just thinking "redraw" each cycle should be turned on by default. I have needed it in most of my PC apps for one reason or another. Un-checking "Display as background" only stops the flickering in the Blackberry Simulator (instead one of the counters slightly bleeds pixels) but when I install the app on the actual Blackberry device, the flickering continues across all foreground layers - with or without scrolling.

The Mobile Utilities objects redraw function seems to have no effect.

MMF2 understands what order everything is in just fine, it just doesn't refresh the display often enough - under certain fairly common scenarios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJK
    Also "force global refresh" in java mobile might help to the flickering.
    Force Global Refresh sounds interesting, we don't have access to that function in MMF do we?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We do, it's at the bottom of the second properties tab. Next to "Resize display to fill window size" etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I removed all layers, and layers are definitely not causing the problem.

I tried Force Global Refresh. The player controlled active object is still shearing/flickering as the display scrolls. I need to run a few more tests. My next suspect is frame size... thank you all for the feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like an issue caused by a large/complex moving scene and not having vsync. I don't know if vsync exists in Java though...
    EDIT: can also be caused by lack of double-buffering, especially if things are disappearing completely. Again, not sure if that is something Java supports...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasoft
    It sounds like an issue caused by a large/complex moving scene and not having vsync. I don't know if vsync exists in Java though...
    EDIT: can also be caused by lack of double-buffering, especially if things are disappearing completely. Again, not sure if that is something Java supports...
    After a few more tests I verified the shearing occurs whenever:

A) Three or more objects overlap while one is moving. -This is only observed on the device (Blackberry 9630), not the device simulator or in MMF. It occurs without scrolling with the frame sized at the native screen resolution. Size is not a factor, layers are not per say a factor - only overlapping (moving) objects.

B) Scrolling causes the shearing/flickering also - overlapping objects are being updated.

Shearing is a common problem in sprite rendering, only there doesn't appear to be a way to port the solutions by: un-checking Display as background, with Force Global Refresh or the Mobile Utility objects Refresh Display. As a side note, bar counters leave behind phantom pixels when overlapping objects - this is not resolved by redraws/refreshes either. As of right now, I don't see any evidence that the redraw/refresh commands have any effect on the actual mobile device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast