User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mobile Java Support for Layers?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Mobile Java Support for Layers?

Set the apps frame rate much lower than you likely have it set. I've done some experimenting because I had terrible shearing on my device as well.

MMF is not optimized for j2me or specific devices especially, so if you're going to have a lot going on, you'll need to settle for a modest frame rate. Lots of mobile games are anywhere from 8 fps to 24 fps. I got away with 18 fps (No shearing whatsoever now) and might be able to go higher, and I've got three layers of scrolling and a fairly large frame. (but this is a powerful device)

I hope this helps. PS, remember that an actual movie is only 24 fps. It is a common and rediculous dogma that a game sucks if its less that 60 fps. Most of the classics we love were no where near that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMonkey
    PS, remember that an actual movie is only 24 fps. It is a common and ridiculous dogma that a game sucks if its less that 60 fps. Most of the classics we love were nowhere near that.
    Oooh, let me explain that

That comes from the fact that anything less than 60 screen refreshes per second on a CRT monitor stresses your eyes.

The human eye cannot perceive the difference between 24 fps and 30 fps, but it *CAN* and *WILL* perceive differences between 60 Hz and 85 Hz.

Since all cellphones are LCD or better, you don't have to worry about making your game 60 fps.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Fimbul, excellent points.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMonkey
    Set the apps frame rate much lower than you likely have it set. I've done some experimenting because I had terrible shearing on my device as well.

MMF is not optimized for j2me or specific devices especially, so if you're going to have a lot going on, you'll need to settle for a modest frame rate. Lots of mobile games are anywhere from 8 fps to 24 fps. I got away with 18 fps (No shearing whatsoever now) and might be able to go higher, and I've got three layers of scrolling and a fairly large frame. (but this is a powerful device)
    Thank you. I'm sorry I didn't notice your suggestion before. I will redo my testing, and post the results. I wasn't certain the frame rate option had an effect. Most of the other runtime options don't seem to apply to mobile apps.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HolyMonkey, you are correct. 10FPS seems to be the sweet spot for my device.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2