User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MMO Game Server : Questions

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMO Game Server : Questions

I┤m currently under development of a MMO game, until now, I was using MooClick over a MMF server, but reading some posts here, I really tought it wasn't that nice make a server for a MMO game over MMF...

So I read some about this Lacewing extension, it is good for making MMO's games? how many connections it can handle? Do I have to program C++ or it can be used as the same way as MooClick?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be appreciated.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MMO Game Server : Questions

As far as I know, no-one here has actually made an MMO with MMF. There have been a fair few attempts, but I haven't seen anything with over a dozen players at a time, let alone thousands.

Lacewing would definitely be more capable than MooClick, but you would need to code your server in c++ or python for it to be practical. If you used one of the public servers then you'd be doing everything client-side and it would be ludicrously easy to hack. If you used an MMF-based server then it wouldn't scale very well, same as using MooClick.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is currently no lacewing server Extension. Anyway, for such a project, C++ or python are the only choices.

There is no real limit to how many connections it can handle, it depends on how much ressource is available and how heavy is the server coding.

Lacewing is already far better than Moo extensions, btw.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jamie is planning to code the Lacewing Server extension like with Moo, but, it would be really inefficient compared to a custom server or the def server with components.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have 5 MMORGS and working on the next!

This is only one 3-4 yeas old !

Moogame is good, hope lacewing is better...

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot1.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot2.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot3.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot4.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot5.jpg[/img]

[img:center]http://casualgames.eu/screenshots/screenshot6.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks like another example of the "about a dozen players" attempts at MMOs I mentioned.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only tests with max.6 Player, game is never release because of no Online Lobby system.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That means I have to make a server coding in Python or C++, but I already made a lot of things using Mooclick. Do you all think it will have any problem to code a server using Mooclick? Or it┤s better migrate everything to Lacewing? (I'm saying really a lot of things, it will take so much time to migrate). Do you think Mooclick is ok on a big project? If so, it have any source code, or anybody know how to get started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny
    only tests with max.6 Player, game is never release because of no Online Lobby system.
    Well then, it's just a multiplayer online game, not a massively multiplayer online game. They are quite different, a multiplayer online game only needs one server (program) to run, a massively multiplayer online game needs at least two: an area server, and a separate "overlord" server which manages player stats and other persistent data.

If the player can't go between area servers without losing their game progress, it's not an MMO. If they can but only because the data is stored client-side, it's a hacker's dream, not a game.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistus
    Do you think Mooclick is ok on a big project?
    Mooclick is almost certainly not okay for a big project. The servers can be forced to crash, if a hacker was so inclined. Lacewing is much more lightweight, is currently under active support by the developers and it is rather powerful. It's also not that different to Mooclick in terms of the events. I made some video tutorials a while back for it, found here (written back when Lacewing was called Oinc).

As for server coding, Python is really straightforward. Put the effort in, take a few days/weeks to learn it, and you'll be developing pretty powerful games quickly.
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast