Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Issues with Programing a FPS Tower Defence.

No Products Registered

Issues with Programing a FPS Tower Defence.

Hello forum.

I am in the process of developing what I guess you could say is a first person shooter. The player can only move left and right with the arrow keys and must aim with he mouse. The num pad is used to switch weapons. The game plays like a tower defend game. Shoot the enemies down before they get to your base. A paint assembled screen shot is show below to serve as an example as to what I'm after.
    [img:center]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc74/Van_Kentha/example.png[/img]

Hopefully this all makes sense to you. I am encountering quiet a few problems.

1. I know how to do a scrolling camera and it working so far. The hud wraps around the window making it look like only the back ground is moving. However, the play is created by at least 15 active objects. In order to keep them all in the same place I have them all moving when the player moves by the mouse key. The main Hud object(the orange frame and window) is set the stop when it hits the edge. However the other 14 object will continue to move and will leave their respective spots. Thus I believe that I need to find a away so that when the Main Hud part stops, I need the the other objects to stop as well. Does anyone know how?

2. The second problem I'm encountering is my cursor. When I changes it's shape to one of my crosshair objects by using the change shape command, I get an orange box with the image transparent instead of the transparent object. The box also changes color based on the surface it is currently over. Also when switching weapons my crosshairs change fine but they also suffer from the orange box and only part of them is shown. For example switching to the rocket launcher only allows 1/4th of the crosshair to be shown along with the orange box. I see a resize option for crosshair but its grayed out. Does anyone know how to activate it or know an alternative solution.

3. The last issue I have is dealing with programing weapons. The machine gun shown on the bottom left I am trying to program it to run its animation for as long as the mouse button is held down. Running a loop won't work and I do not see a holding the mouse button down. Does anyone know a solution to this problem.

Thank you all for you time and I look forward to a response.

-DF

Clickteam Clickteam

Re: Issues with Programing a FPS Tower Defence.

1) I think you're overcomplicating things. Just put the HUD on a layer at the front with a coefficient of 0 so it stays still, always centre the scrolling position at the crosshair, and then make the crosshair move left/right to move the player.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

3) Go into the ANimation Editor. You need to create two animations, Stopped and Shooting, Shooting must be infinitely looped.

Now go into the Event Editor and create these Events.

Fire Button Held?
    -Change Animation to Shooting.

[color:#FF0000]X[/color] Fire Button Held?
    +Shooting Animation is Currently Playing?
    -Restore Animation Sequence

Now it should work. PS. Happy Birthday and Welcome to the Forums, I hope you have a nicer time here than me.

No Products Registered

Sorry I took so long to reply.

Jamie - I am rather new to the tool and am not familiar with layers. I'll see what I can learn so that I may try your idea, but can you possibly point out any tutorials about Layers?

Dragonguy - Thanks. Where can I find the option of, (button) Held? I don't seem to find anything similar in the Keyboard section.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Scrolling:

1: Make the playarea as wide and high as you want the level to be. It should be alot bigger than the window size.

2: In the event editor, make an event to always centre scrolling at 0,0 from the Crosshair.

Layers:

1: Press ctrl+k to show the layer menu (in the frame editor).

2: Add a new layer and put the HUD in there. The crosshair must NOT be in this layer.

3: You can move the layers above and below each others, depending on which one you want to have in front / in the back etc. The HUD must be in front.

4: Set the x and y coefficient of the HUD layer to 0. This way it will not move even if the level is scrolling.

No Products Registered

Thanks popcorn, Everything is staying on screen now. However now I'm having issues with the cross hair. If I use the cursor object, I get the problem stated in question 2. If I program it to my mouse, some how my movement is being limited. At first I believed t was somehow bumping into my guns or hud, but I tested the movement by it's self, it's limited to a short X like range. I can only move the target within the smaller center and a little bit into the 4 diagonal area of the Hud.

Thanks again. Hopefully I can be rid of these errors soon.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Do not use the Mouse movement. Instead, set the movement for the crosshair to static and in the event editor tell it to always position to xmouse and ymouse.

No Products Registered

Yes, that worked just fine. Thanks a bunch.

Would you happen to know where is the Fire button held event Dragonguy was speaking about?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Under the player one joystick object. If you have a key like Shift or Control assigned under the controls setup dialogue, it'll have the same effect as pressing Shift/Control or the fire 1 on the joystick if one is plugged in.

No Products Registered

Thanks a bunch. I have just one more question for the moment and I think that will be the end of the errors for a while.

I'd like to make a reload period. I want the program to wait lets say 3 seconds before reloading the ammo of the machine gun?. I know the timer object is involved but what would I do?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast