Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Binary messages

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Stack messages

Basically TCP is automatically fragmented and reassembled to fit the MTU, so the max stack size is as large as it can be. UDP is just dropped if it exceeds the MTU, so you have to keep small.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, the program that sends files via UDP works faster than TCP and is just as guaranteed.

I did some speed tests. UDP works 2 seconds faster than TCP per megabyte, so although I wouldn't recommend it for game applications, in the filesharer it's a good idea.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, I would trust the person who has made the Lacewing extensions instead of making unaccurate tests. TCP is slow because it is accurate. If you make UDP as accurate as TCP is with checks, it will be at least as slow. Why would TCP otherwise exist?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A UDP packet is dropped (never received) in the following situations:
    Random corruption of packet header
    Encountering an MTU smaller than the packet
    Full buffer on a router
    On a whim

A UDP packet will corrupt your transfer in the following situations:
    All the above
    Random corruption of packet body
    Arriving out-of order
    Arriving twice

In practice, the above are very rare, except over wifi or a dodgy network cable.

I don't know how much of that Lacewing compensates for, if any. Regardless, it's a bad idea to send one piece of data (e.g. a file) in multiple UDP packets.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasoft
    [..]
    UDP uses a checksum - I'm pretty sure the packets can't get corrupted (although I guess there could be a freak checksum collision, it's not very likely).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenius
    Seriously, I would trust the person who has made the Lacewing extensions instead of making unaccurate tests. TCP is slow because it is accurate. If you make UDP as accurate as TCP is with checks, it will be at least as slow. Why would TCP otherwise exist?
    Hmm. I don't think the tests were unaccurate. TCP exists so it can be used as a reliable transfer which will suit almost any application.
    Basically TCP is automatically fragmented and reassembled to fit the MTU, so the max stack size is as large as it can be. UDP is just dropped if it exceeds the MTU, so you have to keep small.
    I use UDP in this way for the simple reason which is speed. In a multiplayer game I would use UDP for position sending only, and I wouldn't even consider using UDP for anything else. Because I am creating a filesharing program, I use it. The size of the file, and the size of the peer's stacks, etc, are already known as the sender will inform the receiver. In a game, you would have to inform (via TCP) the other users what size UDP messages they should receive, for each packet in this system, making it useless.
    Finally, in my filesharing app, no UDP packets will be corrupt, if they are missed they will be requested again (after the main loop), and if they are received twice, they will be saved to the same memory address and the second one will overwrite the first, giving the same output.
    I will do some more TCP vs UDP tests to make sure of my findings, but I'm sticking to what I used to have - for each megabyte, UDP takes 58 seconds to receive, and TCP takes 60 seconds.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    [..]
    UDP uses a checksum - I'm pretty sure the packets can't get corrupted (although I guess there could be a freak checksum collision, it's not very likely).
    Checksums aren't reliable (they just "check the sum"). They aren't a hash, either.

And while it is not likely to happen for small packages, imagine transferring megabytes and megabytes of data - more than once.

Unless you implement your own error-checking mechanism (CRC is a good bet), you'll eventually run into corruptions. And if you implement an error checking mechanism, then why bother with UDP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UDP doesn't checksum the packet body, only (optionally) the header (unlike TCP).

EDIT: Seems I'm wrong about that. However, the checksum is optional.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like RDP better
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could somebody upload an example of how to send files? Everything I've tried just gets files of 0 bytes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast