User Tag List

Thread: An error has occured while writing the file

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An error has occured while writing the file

I have made my game at home on a Vista PC with an event saying "Start of Frame" - Save frame position. I tested this at home, and my game worked fine. But now Im on my school PC, which is a Windows XP (no idea if it matters), and this error appears: an error has occured while writing the file." Why?? Whats wrong??

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: An error has occured while writing the file

Security Policy will be tight so I would either use %temp% folder to write info (temp info) or "%userprofile%\Application Data"
    Not everyones pc is open to every man and his dog. It's like leaving your front door unlocked at home

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh, what? :P You mean my school PC blocks the creation of the save file or something?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, that would not surprise me at all. We have access to less than 5% of the world wide web, no online games at all, no administrator rights etc etc... But what to do then?? I have played another MMF2 game that creates a save file with no errors. Im not sure if thats the same method, but.. It must be some other way? Or isnt it?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's bad practice to assume you will always be able to write data in the the application path. If you want to allow all users to modify the data then you should save the info to the All users location and write the security permissions (acls) on on that file to allow all users to read/write/modify the file as part of the application installation. Or if you want each user to have their own profile data then just write the information to the userprofile. Your end users will assume you got everything right when they fire up your game.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okey, Im gonna look some into it. Thanks a lot for your help