User Tag List

Thread: Box2D Chain Problem

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Box2D Chain Problem

Hello, so I've made a chain by jointing a bunch of bodies together using the Box2D extension. Here is the file:

http://mfa.aquadasoft.com/view/1272871858-CraneTest2

If it moves slightly quickly, it quickly bugs out and stretches wildly. This is a familiar problem, I remember it being back in the old Chipmunk Phizix object.

Anyway to fix this?

Matt
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Box2D Chain Problem

There are a couple of things you can do to increase stability of the chain.

You can use distance joints instead of revolute joints, distance joints are generally more stable for a chain. To use a distane joint properly you have to attach the anchors to the center of the bodies to give the joints a bit of distance to work on. The distance joint also allows you to give it a bit of softness so that it won't freak out completely if it's stretched a little. You might have to update the angle manually on the actives if you do this though.

You can increase the iteration counts in Box2D's properties. The more position/velocity iterations you have the more stable joints will be. Note that soft distance joints aren't position corrected, so only velocity iterations matter for these.

If you attach something heavy to a light chain the stretching problem will get worse. This can be solved by giving the chainlinks more mass. This increases the total weight of the chain, but I don't know of any better way of solving the problem other than supporing the chain with a max-distance joint, one of the few features Box2D lacks over Chipmunk.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distance joints are working perfectly. For now, at least, I haven't stuck anything on the end yet, but if I throw the hexagon at it, it never messes up no matter how hard.

The hard thing now is manually setting the angle. If the hotspot is in the middle, how should I go about it?
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

look here !

http://www.clickteam.com/epicenter/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187769&#Post187 769

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnny that's way over the edge and it messes up more than the original problem.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the angle from the body position to one of the anchor positions of one of the attached joints and use that.

Johnny's example actually displays one of the problems with attaching a heavy object to a light chain. In the example the chain passes through so easily because the pins are way smaller then they look and actually fits through the gaps in the chain, but even if you resize them the chain will pass through due to the heavy load.