User Tag List

Thread: IP Camera and Web Camera Extension for MMF2

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IP Camera and Web Camera Extension for MMF2

Has any progress been made on the creating of a IP Camera and Web Camera Extension?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: IP Camera and Web Camera Extension for MMF2

I have never heard of the Ip Camera extension?

The web camera extension is on hold as it had some issue on specific cameras and I don't know when it can be looked into.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the mantime some ActiveX controls will work with cameras and the ActiveX object so you could try that..
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff sorry, it is IP not LP.

LB, I have tried VideoCapX and it partly works. However, the MMF2 ActiveX extension needs work to allow "all" of the methods and properties to be used. I do not want to invest $500 or more in an activex that is not fully compatible with MMF2.

I know the current MMF2 activex is better than in the past but it still needs work or a new extension is needed to allow better integration of activex controls.

I have suggested that perhaps sometype of a conversion program could be created to allow for this integration but the idea meets with resistance.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I recall correctly, it wasn't met with resistance, it just wasn't possible

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jamie, the idea to be able to convert directly from an activex to an extension was listed as impossible, you are correct. I'm still not really sure that is true but none the less...

The overall idea was to find some way to allow for faster integration of activex into MMF. My idea was to address weaknesses in the existing process. What I mean is:

1. When MMF2 updates to major new versions I have seen that extensions "always" have to the rewritten or recompiled and this gets assigned to a "few" programmers with too much on their plate to keep up. More automation and standards are needed to speed up extension conversion to keep up with MMF.

2. Extensions lag will be increasing with the increase in the number of extensions and MMF development and versions being produced.

3. Extensions have gotten better and faster to develop using the SDK's and tutorials, but still requires the user to be a C++ programmer.

4. Extension development and management is still not integrated within MMF. Case in point, try to load application where an extension is missing and you have to end MMF to do so. MMF should just go ahead, get the extension, download and install it if desired by the user. (May be fixed in MMF3)

5. Extension standards had gotten better with the development of FusionUpdater. But standards have started to drift again with the development of the "released extension" forum. For example, FusionUpdater if it is the "supported" way to get and download extensions should be the "only way" to do it and where standard are enforced. This program should have been updated to provide more information and options or should have been integrated within MMF. Example of "standards drift" include the way to install an extension from the forum versus with FusionUpdater. Some developers use an installer whereas others just use a zip file. This is happening in the forum downloads because of the drift in standards that is taking place.

The forum is a quick and dirty way to get the extension out but it begins to create issues like where is the most up-to-date verson of the extension at: in the forum, on the developers website, in FusionUpdater ????

6. Now with the support for Java, Flash, Windows ect... I expect to see even more problems with trying to keep extensions current and under control and in sync with MMF development.

7. Activex and .Net controls could provide enhanced abilities within MMF but a better extension is needed to fully support them.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!

I've developed simple applications with MMF2 to control and view a set of IP Cameras without problems so far (users have been using it 2 years from now).

As far as I know, to control a IP camera within a browser you always have to rely on a specific ActiveX provided by the manufacturer, since all cameras don't use standard protocols to deliver the video stream. And if you need to buy a commercial surveillance software to record video from a set of cameras, you will find that each software support only a specific set of brands.

In my experience the ActiveX object has limited capabilites, but the ones it has are robust. I've used a combination of the ActiveX object and the GET object (since a lot of cameras allow direct control using standard HTTP querys) and it all went fine.

Greetings!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback Pablo. That is an interesting approach I will have to try.

Overall with activex I get "so close" with the activex extension and then I run into a problem that just shuts my project down. I had this with a spreadsheet activex and then the VideoCapX activex.

I know Clickteam has a lot on their plate so the Activex extension will be low priority but it sure kills my application development.

I'll have the try the GET object like your suggest.