No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installer to Download Files from FTP Server

Hello!

Here is my scenario -

My install package contains a single file that needs to be updated to the latest and greatest at all times. Basically, when a user installs the "Full" version of the software, it is assumed that the installer already has the latest and greatest of all files. Here is where it gets difficult - there are constant updates to a key file that need to be distributed to my users.

My ultimate goal is to create "minor" installer that ONLY downloads the file from the FTP site that I have designated. Therefore when a new update needs to be distributed to the users, they only have to download an installer that gets the updated file from the FTP site.

I've been testing for a day now and I don't get the logic behind the download process as I have learned it from the forums. Based on what I have read, this is the "flow" that should be followed:

- Create installer
    - Designate file as a downloaded file
    - Setup download options in Options Tab
    - Build installer
    - "1.bin" is created in the "Destination Diretory" that has been designated in the Options tab.
    - Move 1.bin file to the site listed in the "Internet URL" field in the installer.

When installer is run, this file should be downloaded from the FTP site.

Based on this above process, here is where I get lost. It seems that the only way to get an updated "1.bin" file is to run the build process. Here's the question: why would I download the file for my installer if my installer already contains the file I need to download?

I would assume that the installer does not actually contain the file that I am downloading, it would only reference the location of the "1.bin" file on the FTP site.

I'm looking for specific instructions to get my installer to download a file when a user runs my installation package. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Dan

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Installer to Download Files from FTP Server

When you build the installer, it stores the size and checksum of the files in the EXE (of course 1.bin is not included in the EXE).

That may be a problem for what you want to do, as the EXE of the installer will work with only the 1.bin that has been built when it was built itself. If you rebuild it later with an updated file, the previous EXE won't work with the new 1.bin.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still can't even get the file to download. Can you provide instructions on how to go through the process of getting a file setup for download?

Thanks!
    Dan

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well, it's very simple : select the Download option for the file(s), select the Options tab and enter the name of a local directory for the .bin files, and the URL of the mirror of this directory on the server, build you installer and then copy the .bin file(s) to the directory on the server.

And do not forget to verify your firewall doesn't block your installer.

pierrethiault

Similar but different issue

Hi Yves, I have a similar kind of situation but am requesting your help nonetheless.

I have about 400MB of files to install but about 10MB of files are different for each client we work with. The problem with building individual installers for each client is that we end up using huge amounts of server space to support our clients. What we would like to do is use the download option but when we do this the installation slows down dramatically (there are about 10,000 files and so about 10,000 .bin files created). So we tried to make an installer inside an installer. The theory being that when a user runs installer #1 with the unique files in it, it causes the download of installer #2 (1.bin) which is set to run when it has downloaded. The problem we run into is that is successfully starts the download but then keeps on restarting the download (i.e when it gets to 2, 3,4, 5 % it just goes back to 0% and restarts the download of installer #2. Eventually, when we left it overnight it did actually install but it was very slow and of course any normal user is going to be confused by the constant reset back to 0%. Installer #1 is about 5MB, installer #2 is about 350MB.

Are we trying to solve the problem the correct way, or is there a better way to solve this. We are a registered user of ICP but using build #32.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Just to make sure I fully understand the problem :

How many files are there in the common 400 Mb?
    How many files are there in the 10 Mb specific for each client?