User Tag List

Thread: Directory/folder problem? (Game not working)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Directory/folder problem? (Game not working)

This might get a little complicated.

So last week, I was at a camp where I made a video game using Multimedia Developer 2. I wanted a song to play starting at one specific frame and ending at one specific frame, but to keep looping and playing continuously until then, but not for the whole game. I was able to do this. I also wanted another song to be only on two very far apart frames, but to repeat/loop on both. I was able to do this as well.

For the file that started and ended, (it was a .WAV file, by the way) I had to add an active object, and choose this blue boxed movie symbol, that looked a bit like this, as I recall, but my memory is hazy:

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/MrSaturn33/Movie.png

It would be much appreciated if you could use print screen, upload the picture to Photobucket as well, and say, "Hey, do you mean this?" And i'll say yes or no.

Anyway, I used that thing, maybe it was called, "Active Movie Object," but I might be wrong. I made it the .WAV file, titled, "Castlevania- Symphony of the Night Music - Final Toccata.WAV," and in the event editor, I told it to play at that frame and loop. Then, I went back to the frame editor and set "Global Values" to 1 for it. Then, I went to the frame I wanted it to end at, and copy/pasted the same object to that frame, went to the event editor, told it to stop. It worked just fine.

The repeating song was very similar. Inserted it the same way, just told it to loop in the event editor. Did the exact same thing for a different frame.

All of the other songs/images/everything in the game are in the exe file, but for these two songs, (as well as 3 bmp files, but these work if they're in the same folder) the MMFD2 file and the EXE file needed to know where they were in order to play them. Everything worked fine when I was at the camp, but then I took the project home on a flash drive, as well as upload it to Mega Upload.

Now, I had problems. Even if these two files were in the same folder, they wouldn't play. The folder is called, "TFSROT." This must be because the EXE file recognizes music files by the directory, not the folder that they're in. So it must look like, "C:/Campfiles/User/Camper/Documents/MyGame/TFSROT" and when it gets carried over to my computer, my directory might look like, "C:/MrSaturn'sCOmputer/User/MrSaturn/Gaming/PCGames/TFSROT." These are just examples, those two directories never existed.

What's weird is that .BMP files work just fine as long as they're in the same folder. It must depend on which file type it is. These two music files are .WAV files. PLEASE do NOT suggest using a .MIDI file instead. I hate, hate, hate MIDI, it sounds awful and computerized and my game would sound terrible and be ruined.

Also what's weird to note, remember how I said I put it on Megaupload? Obviously, I had to make the folder with 6 files, (The first WAV, second WAV, EXE, first BMP, second BMP, third BMP) a .zip file for it to work. But as I was doing this, you won't believe what happened. The computer said that it noticed that there was file(s) (the EXE) that depended on other files in the .ZIP, (WAV1, WAV2, BMP1, BMP2, BMP3) then it asked me if I would like to make these files that the EXE depended on .zips as well, for it to 'work.' Of course, I said yes.
    It didn't really do that, but it asked me to extract the files before I played the game, of course I said yes, and it had the same fate as the regular folder that was in my flash drive.

VERY IMPORTANT: You'll probably have to download the game from Megaupload to help me and see what's wrong; it's the same exact .zip file that I downloaded.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7XYE6UW

In addition, I have the MMFD2 file. I don't have all of the graphics/music/sfx that came with it and have no idea if that is necessary. You're better off hacking the EXE file or converting it/extracting it (somehow) to get it to work.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWBOPBTA

With these files, and a copy of Multimedia Fusion Developer 2, you might be able to fix my problem. I'm honestly stumped, how do program these two files the way I want without making it depend on such a darn specific directory, and rather simply depend on if the two .WAV files are in the same folder? I want to share this game with my friends and family through E-Mail, so even if it works on my computer (which it doesn't) I want it to work on any computer. Please help me, I didn't know where to turn!

Also important: I don't remember what number frames the two songs were on, (two individual frames, one set of frames) but I have taken pictures of the frames I want the musics to play on. Please zoom in to see the frame exactly, or else you will most likely get confused, as some frames in my game look slightly similar. Go here to see that:

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv207/MrSaturn33/Instruc.png

(PS: While making the MMFD2 file an EXE, I got a similar message, but it did work just fine until I moved the file with a flash drive, or tried downloading it on Megaupload)

Thank-you very much, I need help.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Directory/folder problem? (Game not working)

I'm sorry, but I bump this. It's ridiculous that everyone refuses to help me, when I have far more serious problems than almost anyone else here.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't need any extension to play a WAV, or even an OGG or Module.. just use the "Play sample" action under the inbuilt Sound object in the event editor.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    You don't need any extension to play a WAV, or even an OGG or Module.. just use the "Play sample" action under the inbuilt Sound object in the event editor.
    Clearly you didn't read everything I said. In order to program the sound file to play the way I wanted it to, I DID need an extension, because I want it to play continuously starting at one frame and ending at another. That's why only two WAV files had this problem, and the rest of the songs in my game didn't.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of more serious problems are you having that no one else is having. Clearly, if someone could help you they would.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't you just use Play and Loop sample on one frame and then stop it playing on another frame like you want?
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LB
    Can't you just use Play and Loop sample on one frame and then stop it playing on another frame like you want?
    You can't set global values for samples. Maybe you could loop a sample, but I don't even care much about that, those were two unimportant frames. I just want a song that does not rely on a directory to start at one frame, keep going for a lot more frames and not pause or repeat at all, and finally end at one frame. SONG PLAY FROM FRAME A TO FRAME Z. And for it to rely on the song being in the folder or the program itself, not a specific directory.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use "Play Sample from File" and then use "Expression" ?
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3