User Tag List

Thread: RPG game creation

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPG game creation

Ok so i know mostly how an RPG works, but there are some things work, i know the basic tactics.

(initial damage dice roll + attack bonus items - defense + bonus defense items = overall damage)

now there are some things that i wish to know more about RPGs and how to do the dice roll on the attack.

I'm a huge final fantasy fan, but i want to know what the other tactics, here is the following which is what i want to know. (i.e. tactic relationships, what they do, stuff like that

Attack (dose this add to the dice roll?)

Accuracy (i don't know which other tactic opposes this tactic, is it agility or evasion?)

Agility

Intelligence (i heard it helps magic but I'm not sure.)

Evasion

Magic defense (i know what it dose, but i don't know where it comes into play.)

I will also need to know how the magic attacking works and also how to use the magic step by step attack process, aw heck might as well give me all of them...

I also need to know how to do the dice roll on attacking.

one more thing, i know i might make 50+ enemies, how do i change different tactics for different enemies with using minimum amounted variables?

(everything i stated relates to FF1+2 Advance, just in case if ya need to know what I'm talking about.)

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: RPG game creation

OK, so I'm not a huge Final Fantasy guy, especially with Dice Rolls, but I have played my fair share of RPGs, so here are some general tips.....

Attack -- This rating should control damage, based on the weapon. If a weapon does 1d6 (1 roll of 6 sided die), then you may want Attack to the min/max. If the result is greater than the weapons max damage, that could be an "OVERDRIVE" attack.

Accuracy -- Affects the chance a bow attack will land, or a sword attack. Evasion would affect this probably.

Agility -- Agility, I think, affects how quickly the player moves, adding a bonus to Evasion, with the chance that the player can get in added attacks. (I think, really sketchy on this one)

Intelligence -- Higher the better, for magic casters. Like Attack, but for Mages.

Evasion -- the Chance that you (or enemy) will dodge an attack, based on the attacker's accuracy.

Magic Def -- The ability a person has to deflect/absorb some magic damage. Similar to Physical Def.

Physical Def -- (I know you didn't have this, but what the hell) Ability to absorb weapon damage, affected by the armour worn by player.

More coming soon.....

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the tactics, keep it very, very general.
    Make the enemies a Group, give them Alterable Values.
    Eg;

Alt Val A== HP
    B == Attack
    C == Accuracy.....etc etc,

Best way I can think of. If it's turn based, I can't do that too well.

Try using counters to control whose turn it is, and try broad conditions to keep things easier.
    Try posting that as a different question.

Dice rolls, well, traditional damageing works like this;

1d6 == 1 Roll of a 6 sided die, meaning the end result could be 1-6. If a player has 3 attack rating, then the result could end up 4-9. If the enemy has 2 defense, the acutaly damage value that the enemy takes could be 2-7.

As for the coding....try;
    Random(WeaponMax)+(WeaponMin)+(Player Attack).

That's about as much as I can help with, as I said, I'm not too good at turn based, only real-time. Hope I've helped

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best thing I can recommend, is to go pick yourself up a couple different table top RPGs and read through them. Specifically a d20 system (such as D&D 3rd & 4th editions, or something like d20 Modern or Future). d20 systems are pretty standard these days and many games use them (for example all of the Bioware games use d20 systems).

You could also check out older D&D, which used d6.

A game called Earthdawn used the d6 system as well, but in a unique way. So check that out too.

Generally speaking though, to keep things simple and easy to recall, the d20 system is pretty good.

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make a google search , you'll find tons of explanations to RPG , dice roll ...
    and dont restrict yourself to FF , its just one among so many others ...