User Tag List

Thread: Requesting feedback on SQL database project...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requesting feedback on SQL database project...

Hey, folks!

As you may be able to tell, my company keeps me pretty busy with MMF2 development--which I love, since MMF2 kicks ass and ensures my job security!

I have been asked to think about how to do a new project for one of our customers... This would involve accessing a SQL database, then displaying its contents in real-time onto a grid (perhaps an MMF2 SQL database grid).

Further, envision that this customer would need to make changes to the SQL database by literally making changes to the displayed grid during run-time. Once a user makes a change to a grid cell, that content would write to the SQL database, then refresh the displayed grid with updated information.

So, aside from me learning how to use the various SQL objects and extensions that come with MMF2 (I'll have to determine which would be best to use), I thought that perhaps I would place Edit boxes on top of the displayed grid cells. Each Edit box would display the cell contents in which it was over. The user could then change values in those Edit boxes, which would then go to the database grid, then to the SQL database; once the database was updated, it would return current values to the MMF2 database, then to the Edit boxes for display.

It strikes me that this method may be cumbersome. I was wondering if there would be a better way to implement this project?

I definitely am open to ideas! Thank you very much in advance for your feedback!

Most graciously...

RGBreality

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Requesting feedback on SQL database project...

You're looking for the Datagrid object, which comes with MMF2 Developer. If you don't have Dev, then your method is the best.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, LB!

I do have MMF2 Developer and have experimented with the DataGrid object in the past.

So, are you suggesting that the DataGrid object can read the values DIRECTLY from the SQL database? Or are you suggesting that the DataGrid object act as the layer in which the end user makes value changes (and then the DataGrid object sends those updated values to the SQL database)?

As always, thank you for your input!

Most graciously...

RGBreality

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The datagrid object has nothing to do with SQL, saving, or loading. It just displays a grid of data, hence "DataGrid".
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have written a similar application. Your approach will work. The datagrid is limited in how much data can be displayed and scrolled. I tried to enter 300 rows and found the datagrid just would not scroll correctly.

You may wish to have the datagrid display the records and allow the user to select one for editing. Then have a popup subapp to edit the record or have two views, one for datagrid display with no editing and a form for editing a record or adding a new record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, droberson! Thank you for your feedback! You have a couple good ideas there.

Would you mind if I looked at your source MFA file to see how you did your project?

Most graciously...

RGBreality

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry can't share client's source code. Happy to answer general questions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure I'll pick your brain once I get started with it.

Thank you for offering your assistance on any future questions I may have. I appreciate it!

Most graciously...

RGBreality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, droberson! I already have a couple general questions for you which you would likely find pretty easy...

1.) When you worked on your SQL database project, which MMF2 object did you use to read and write data to that database? Did you use the SQL Pro Lite 3, or the SQL Database object? (Or perhaps you used the SQL Server object?)

2.) As I work on this project, I'm going to need to learn a little SQL. For example, when I looked at the SQL Database object, there were no specific actions to "import" or "read from" a database; there was only a general option to "use a SQL command," in which one would use SQL to read from and write to a database. Which SQL commands would it be best for me to learn? Could you recommend a good resource to learn basic SQL commands?

Thank you again for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Most graciously...

RGBreality

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall CreatorInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've worked on some MMF SQL database stuff. From the start I didn't really know any SQL commands but it's really easy to pick up.

In my application I use the SQL DB object and the Data Grid Object.

I learned about SQL basically from just doing a search in Google. Some references that may be useful are:

http://www.sqlite.org/lang.html
    http://www.sqlcommands.net/
    http://www.sql-tutorial.net/