User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 User Account Control issues!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows 7 User Account Control issues!

Does anyone know how to get windows 7 to run a MMF game without popping up that annoying User Account Control window?

My game is running as administrator, which causes windows 7 to pop the UAC window each time its run..

The problem is that if I dont run it as administrator, the game does not seem to be able to write to files and sub-folders in the game's folder, causing the game to crash.. (im loading my levels as external files)

Does anyone know of a way around this?

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Windows 7 User Account Control issues!

- Turn UAC Off
    - Put the game somewhere where it has read and write access
    - Use Binary Data

Choose one of the above
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Turn UAC Off", i doubt the players want also make that..

So, no, instead, the second solution of LB is better:

Assuming the "C:\" and "C:\Program File" and "C:\Windows" are protected by Windows Seven (or even Windows Vista), you MUST change all your events (conditions/actions) and all the objects properties intended to NOT use any of this protected folders.

It's a better way.

Less better way:

Otherwise, use the built-in Binary Data, for stock into the application all the files required by your application.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions! Yea, turn UAC off would be nice but I cant expect all users to do that..

Hmm so you mean if the game is installed to another location than "c:\program files" it does not need administrator rights?

cant use binary data since the extensions I use all need a file path as input (archive extension, etc).. or can I?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd never turn off UAC if I was on Vista and 7. It's insane that in XP and previous versions of Windows, software was run under admin privileges by default. Vista finally fixed this, and only 30 years behind Unix. OS X also have this feature and is thanks to that almost entierly virus free, as opposed to Windows which there are tens of thousands viruses for.

A second good reason to have UAC on is simply to protect against programmers who want to store data at the wrong location. If some game or software asks for admin rights despite that it doesn't have specific need for this, users should click No, never Yes. This enforces programmers to write their data to the correct locations for their programs to work (in your case you want to use the File object to retrieve the path to the user account's Application Data folder), and this is a good thing, it finally makes Windows a modern operating system instead of the most insecure OS on the market.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well said Nifflas.

Marv
    ​458 TGF to CTF 2.5+ Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nifflas
    I'd never turn off UAC if I was on Vista and 7. It's insane that in XP and previous versions of Windows, software was run under admin privileges by default. Vista finally fixed this, and only 30 years behind Unix. OS X also have this feature and is thanks to that almost entierly virus free, as opposed to Windows which there are tens of thousands viruses for.
    XP only ran software as admin if you logged in as an admin, same as logging in as root on linux (which I believe still works this way)...

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another solution to this "problem" is to make the installer for your game alter the permissions on the install folder to allow the "Users" group to write to it.

IIRC Steam does this.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course you can be an user on XP rather than an admin, but it's just not very convenient, and most people didn't really practice this.

However, data is not supposed to go into the application's own folder if it's located in the system's Program Files path. It's better to follow the set standards than basically circumvent them (perhaps it somehow makes sense for some meta application like Steam, but never for a normal application), there are folders where the data is supposed to go, and you can retrieve it with the File object. Besides, with only three or four events, you can even make your program have both a portable and non-portable mode, like Saira and FiNCK does.

Clicker

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nifflas yes I do see your point.. its just that I find (as a lot of users) that the UAC popups are really annoying and prefer to have them turned off and trust my anti virus software

Anyway, what you are saying is that I should put the files that my game loads and creates in the application data folder of the current user account? makes sense I suppose but I see some problems with it:

It could be hard for users to find the files.. in my case I have a level editor (users can create levels and upload them, send them by email, etc) and It feels much more logical to me to find my levels in the "c:\program files\my game\levels" directory than the "user\application data\my game\levels" directory..

And different users would see different levels?! I want all windows users to have an identical experience..

To me it seems much simples to just place the game in a non protected directory such as "c:\games\my game".. would this work? of course if the user manually changes it to "program files" we're back to the same problem...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast