User Tag List

Thread: "Create Object" crash

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Create Object" crash

I'm new to this whole thing, so forgive me if this topic has been aired before.

I've got MMF2, and I'm working on a top-down space shooter. The game's got (probably quite unnecessarily) three layers.

Anyway, while making the game, I noticed a buildup of objects in layer 1 in the top left corner of the playfield (layer 1 being the lowest layer (the vast majority of the action in this game occurs in layer 3)). As far as I can tell this occurred whenever I used the "Create Object" action.
    Now, I'll admit that the problem I'm coming up against is probably entirely my fault, but I decided I'd delete these copies of the objects that were appearing in this corner, just to tidy up my playfield (these copies of the objects were not showing up in game).
    Doing so has caused the "Create Object" window to crash frequently. I haven't managed to identify what exactly causes these crashes yet, although I do know it only crashes when I create one object relative to another (which is of course by far the most common usage of it). It crashes upon clicking the OK at the end of setting up the creation point. Any hints?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: "Create Object" crash

Sounds like an annoying problem. While you wait for a fix, here's what I would do.

* Ensure that every object you use in the crashing frame actually exist in the frame editor. That is, if you have objects that are created at runtime, keep an instance of the object in the frame and untick "create at start" in the object's runtime properties. Things have a tendency to not go as much wrong as otherwise this way.

* Create a new frame, and make 'em have the same frame settings as the old one used to have (including layers you're using).

* Copy all objects from the old frame to the new frame, and sort them into the layers.

* Make a backup here, and create all the events from the old frame to the new frame. If it still crashes, revert to the backup, remove all the "create object" actions, copy the events over to the new frame, and create new "create object" actions.

I know this is terribly annoying, but I have to do this at the end of most of my game projects to be able to get rid of undeletable objects, which is another MMF2 bug.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

>> which is another MMF2 bug.

It could be the same issue Nifflas. We've tried to fix it without success until now.

Another solution is to delete all the Create Object actions, save the MFA file, close it, reload it, and re-create the Create Object actions.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nifflas.

I was considering a similar course of action, except with creating an entirely new application - this isn't much of a difference seeing as the game only consists of two frames, the menu and the game - and the menu has no create object functions. The extra precaution I was thinking of taking was to, rather than copy across the objects in question, create new objects, give them the same name, and then copy across the frames. It will be undoubtedly be an utter pain, but I've put too much into this particular project to give up on it now.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You shouldn't have to create new objects and give them the same names. Just copying them should work just fine, it's not within the objects themselves that the problem is.