Thread: Install Creator PRO: Change a File during Install

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Install Creator PRO: Change a File during Install

dear Forum

I've been brouwsing the forum and looking into the documentation of Install creator Pro but I cant seem to find what I'm looking for.
    The thing is, I want to re-create a installer with my own additions. In this installer you can add your own values to a .ini file which the program works with. I want to recreate that.
    Im not sure how.

The installer is NSclient++ , which is an addon on the Nagios (system monotoring) tool for windows. Now, I can download the contents of the intire package ( Here ) and change the Ini file there.
    However, this doesnt allow the program to be adaptable, since I have to change this specific line in the nsc.ini file:
    ;# ALLOWED HOST ADDRESSES
    allowed_hosts=127.0.0.1/32 -- 127.0.0.1/32 needs to be able to change.

and I dont know how to do that with Install creator pro but I think it is possible. Do you know how to do this? You would be a life-saver!

Thanks a lot!

Christiaan Verhoef,

PS: I am a student, so unfortually I cant buy anything, however: I would be so greatfull as to advertise your program to others in the future and, with my current studies, I think our paths will surely cross more!.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: Install Creator PRO: Change a File during Install

With the Pro version of Install Creator you can write to INI files : click the Add button in the INI Files group and then specify the filename (you can use macros if necessary), the section, the item and the value to write.

PS: the unregistered version of ICP is not free, unlike the unregistered version of the standard version.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Yves,

Thanks for your reply!
    You typed "(you can use macros if necessary)", I have not found this option yet, could you illiminate this for me?

Also, you Typed:
    "the section, the item and the value to write."
    Could you give me a screenshot or an example of this, I cant seem to figure this step out!
    However, you're dead on with your answer, I think you know exactly what I mean! Could you please help me understand it?

Thanks a lot,

Chris,

PS: If you have MIRC or any other form of chat it would be really great to talk to you. This is a complicated thing for me still and you seem to know what you are doing.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

For example, suppose you want to write this in a CONFIG.INI file in the install directory:

[mySection]
    thisLine=something

In Install Creator Pro, select the Install Info tab, click the first Add button and then enter :

File : #InstallDir#\config.ini
    Section : mySection
    Entry : thisLine
    Value : something

Macros: in the File box, #InstallDir# is a macro, replaced by the install directory. If the .INI file is in a sub-directory just add \sub-directory-pathname after #InstallDir#. If the config file is the Windows folder, use #System# instead of #InstallDir#.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Yves,

Sorry to disturb you again and thanks for being patient with me.
    I also apologize for not writing sooner.
    However, the above suggestion doesn't result in me being able to change that .ini file during the install, with user imput.

It does change the file during the install, but thats not what I ment. The reason I ask this is because each install of this program HAS to be diffrent. I would like to have my users insert the correct value during the install.

Do you know how to acomplish this? Or did I not follow trough with your directions correctly?

Thanks so far for your help!!

Christiaan,

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So you want the user to be able to enter a string in the installer and you write this string to the INI file?

There is a way to do that if you do not use the registration system. Click the Edit button above the tabs and enter CUSTOMTEXT as product code. This special value allows you to use the "Registration (long codes)" screen to let the user enter a value.

You can then modify the texts of the registration screen, and edit the controls of this screen if necessary, to fit your needs.

The value entered by the user is stored in the #regcode# macro, just use this macro in the value you write to the INI file.