User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lacewing server? Just a little help.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lacewing server? Just a little help.

Hi, im little new to the "server" side of multiplayer gaming and noticed theres lacewing server which im presuming allows you to host your own server for your games? Is that correct?

But mainly...as i cant find any docs on this are there any examples of this working? OR any explanation of how to get started with it?

Thanks
    Andy

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Lacewing server? Just a little help.

Well... all you need to do is:
    1) Get a computer and run a Lacewing server exe, included in the Lacewing zip. This can be configured if you know your way around an INI file.
    2) Go on www.portforward.com, locate your router and set it up for port forwarding of UDP and TCP port 6121. Flash games also require that you forward a second TCP port (the number escapes me). Without this step you can only host network games - no connections from the Internet will be allowed.
    3) Go on whatismyip.org, and set your Lacewing games to connect to <your IP> on port 6121.
    If you've done it correctly, your games should connect to that computer!

If you just start a Lacewing EXE and don't bother with step 2, you'll need your local IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx) which can be found by going on Command Prompt, typing "ipconfig" without quotes and hitting Enter. Among the information it gives you there is your local IP. You will need to do step 3 with your local IP instead of the remote one that whatismyip.org gives you. All games running on computers in your LAN should connect to the server fine.
    Hope this helps!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Thanks for that, has helped but confused me somet. I was refering to the lacewing server object, what is that used for?

Thanks
    Andy

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sortacore's answer isn't what you're after, Gibbon. The Lacewing Server extension is a fantastic extension, but it's new so there isn't really any documentation for it. (Maybe if Jeff wants me to do some more tutorials, I might!)

The Server extension lets you make an application that other Lacewing clients can connect to. To get started with this, just do a Start of Frame - Host Server Event and check you can connect to it (perhaps on Localhost) with the Lacewing Extension in another MMF2 app. The Server extension is very similar to the regular Client one, you can test for received messages and send them yourself. You can disconnect clients and set client's names. Lots of things!

Conditions like "On Player Connect" are fired every time the Application Loop occurs. If your server is running at 50 frames per second then that event will fire, not immediately, but on the next frame. This means that an MMF2 server will be much slower than a C++ one, which is multi-threaded and lightning fast. This is why Lacewing Server lets you choose between Interactive and Passive events. If a condition is set to 'Interactive' then you can have control of it in MMF2, but setting it to 'Passive' will mean that it will function independently of MMF2 and be very quick (but you won't be able to use them in events). Oh, by default, all Conditions are passive, so you have to set them to Interactive to be able to use them!
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very goood! Thank you Dizzy, might have a play then.

So if i wanted to make a game where thats not peer to peer but is a client - sever multiplayer game then i would need to ruin the one game as a host (server) and the rest can connect to it as clients?

Thanks
    Andy

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep! You can use the Server to decide whether a player dies or where they spawn or any number of things. Giving that responsibility to the server is much better than giving it to one client because there is much less bias.
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Full of valuble info you are Dizzy! One last thing then, giving the server responsibility will mean then that i have to use interactive events yes?

Thanks
    Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that is correct. One way to make this faster is to type 1000 in your games FPS box, so the frame rate will be as high as possible and MMF2's event loop will run more times a second.

If, however, you are setting positions and testing collisions it'll be much harder to sync up, you'll have to trigger a 'virtual' game loop 50 times a second. I've done this before, it does work. Don't worry about performance though, unless you're going for lots and lots of simultaneous players you are probably just fine without any fancy 1000fps hacks.
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi Thanks Dizzy, been a real good help. And so far so good, only i have run into a slight problem.

I cant work out how to send data from server to channel, i thought i figured it out when i saw the "select channel" and realised i needed to select the channel then send number to channel but still no luck.

Is there a specific routine to to so?

Thanks
    Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the Server sending a message 'To Channel' then you need to receive that with 'On Text Message from Server', it doesn't trigger 'On Text Channel message'.
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast