User Tag List

Thread: How would I set up a Lacewing chat server?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would I set up a Lacewing chat server?

Hey, folks!

I'm setting up a Lacewing chat server application for the first time. I'm familiar with developing a bare-bones Lacewing chat client (thanks to those awesome tutorials), but I'm not familiar with how to set up the server side.

Are there any tutorials or example files on how to set up a Lacewing chat server?

Thank you very much!

Most appreciatively...

RGBreality

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How would I set up a Lacewing chat server?

Unless you want very specific chat features, just running the default server should be fine. You can use the EXE server that comes with Lacewing, you can use the Lacewing Server Object (not the Webserver), or you can use pylacewing or C++ code one yourself.

The first option, the EXE, works the best, as it is clean and works right from the start. Just change the settings in the INI file to suit your needs, run the EXE, and you're done.

You may need to do some port forwarding if you have a router and want to make your server accessible via your IP address across the internet.

If you want more custom interaction with your server, the easiest way is to use the Lacewing Server object. You can also make your own server in C++, make components for the existing EXE server I mentioned, or modify the pylacewing server.

Jamie has more details if you want them, but as I said just running the EXE server that comes with Lacewing should do it for you
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, LB! You're really saving my butt today as well!

I presently already have a MMF2 application which uses the Lacewing Web server, so I figured I would use the Chat server object (instead of the stand-alone EXE file).

So, the first action I would need to do is start the chat server. (That was easy!)

What I'm not sure about now is whether I need to set up a channel (or anything else), or whether the chat clients do that work once they connect.

RGBreality

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By default, everything is handled by the server automatically. Via events, you can change whether you control what happens or the extension does, for each thing respectively. Just explore the menus and you'll find what you need; it's pretty straight forward thanks to Jamie.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LB
    Unless you want very specific chat features, just running the default server should be fine. You can use the EXE server that comes with Lacewing.

The first option, the EXE, works the best, as it is clean and works right from the start. Just change the settings in the INI file to suit your needs, run the EXE, and you're done.

You may need to do some port forwarding if you have a router and want to make your server accessible via your IP address across the internet.

Jamie has more details if you want them, but as I said just running the EXE server that comes with Lacewing should do it for you
    Hi there

I've been using "aquadasoft.com" as my 'connect to' whilst using the Lacewing extension but I noticed peformance issues yesterday. I'm sure you're all aware their page is down too. I'm still fairly new to this so I'm unsure if it's a problem at their end or if the messages i'm sending to the server need optimizing.

If I set my connection to 'localhost' and default port of 6121, the game connects but I get unexpected results when a 2nd or 3rd player joins. These results may be expected as I'd have 2 clients sending the same player IP I guess.

So, I'm hoping to host my own server as you've suggested by using the LacewingServer.exe Now, I put my IP in the 'connect to' part and I've left the port as standard 6121 but this wont allow my game to conenct at all (Yes, I'm running the .exe) Does this seem like I have a port issue? I've never figured out this 'port forwarding' business and I'm not sure what to do or even if this is my problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a router, you will need to do some 'port forwarding',which is basically telling the router that you want to bring a port from your computer out and in front of the router so that it can be seen from the internet. Otherwise the router has no idea which computer you want the port to come from. Usually you will also want to reserve an IP address between your computer and the router so that every time you restart the connection between them it will always have the same IP to get the port from and you won't have to change it.

Look up your router's information in the manual or internet to find out how to change all these settings; all routers are different.