Thread: Need Help with Top Down a la Zelda Object Sorting

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need Help with Top Down a la Zelda Object Sorting

It shouldn't flash because the game is only updating at the end of the event loop... Not during the loop. You can have 50 events changing an object's position and then run the game, and the object will not jump all over the place. It will be in the position the very last event put it in.

To the game, yes it's seeing:

change animation to obstacle
    detect collisions
    change animation to tree

But to the player they just see the tree animation.

This is the same reason why when people try to have an object follow another object's position, it "lags" behind unless you put that following event underneath the other events... The loop is going from the top to the bottom and then updating the game screen. So if you do:

parent the child object event

and then

move parent event

You're always going to get this weird delay because the game is positioning the child first and then the parent is moving... But if you do:

move parent

and then

parent the child object event

It's moving the parent first, then it's positioning the child to the very last position the parent moved... So it's perfectly locked on.

Sorry if this is long winded but it seems you don't quite grasp how the game loop works so I thought I might help to explain it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok that does help explain it a bit. I guess the game loop updates it so fast that you don't see a transition from one animation to the next.

Out of curiosity, do you have an example or can point me towards one showing this method? Sounds like it's something I should learn how to use myself. The method I use works, but if it saves me from dividing up my graphics, that would save a lot of time.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it's been discussed on these forums before, so you might be able to find an example by searching... Either way, I'll make an example when I get home in a few hours.

One thing about what you said though "I guess the game loop updates it so fast that you don't see a transition from one animation to the next." That's not really true... The game loop isn't updating it faster than you can see, it's just not ever displaying it in the first place. :P It's reading it internally but not displaying it externally ever. You have to separate what you're seeing on the screen from what you're seeing in your event list.

The game isn't running through each event one by one and displaying it on the screen. It's running through the entire event list and then displaying the final result. Even if you slowed the loop down to one loop per second, you'd still only see the end result of the loop, not the individual events.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's this:

http://www.create-games.com/article.asp?id=1639

But the example is apparently no longer online.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh okay. Yeah I guess I didn't understand very well how the game loop updates. So in other words, the game loop reads the events, then displays everything after it cycles through the loop?

Also, I wasn't trying to be contrary or argumentative I was genuinely curious how that would work properly, so I hope you weren't taking it that way. I never heard of this method so I was a bit confused. Thanks for explaining! This will be very useful and save a lot of time.

Clicker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh it's okay. I didn't think you were arguing or anything. I'm happy to help.

The only thing about this method is that you have to be careful what events you're using because not all events are created equal. For example, I think you're only able to really use the "if overlapping" event, and not the "on collision" because these two events have different priorities in the loop. Which may make it difficult to work with depending on your game.

If all else fails, I'd always use the one obstacle for each active method. It's much easier just having a single invisible obstacle object you can place behind your graphics instead of cutting up all your graphics into pieces.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks you all for your replies !
    RhysD your example was the bomb, you indeed had lots of those objects overlapping and it worked great. Didn't know about the layer object. Thanks

Well here's more info on how I have it setup.
    My pillars are indeed something like 256 x 64 and the collision is 64 by 64. I only copy this collision square around and i have an event creating the pillars on top at the start of frame. I am also planning to have every destructible states saved when the player saves... But anyways I do have a separate collision object. In this game I do not use the graphics as collisions in most cases (player has to go behind and my environments are huge paintings sliced into sections for faster drawing but not made out of little tiles). I am making a 720p game heavy on artwork. Testing the limits of mmf2?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2