User Tag List

Thread: Standard vs. DirectX vs. DirectX+VRAM

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard vs. DirectX vs. DirectX+VRAM

Now, I am not an expert on this matter but recently I have been experiencing problems and I know something is wrong. I am now in the making of an RPG NPC and messaging engine, it pretty much is a frame with some Backdrop objects to test collisions, 5 actives (4 small sprites) one for the player and 3 for the NPCs and a bigger one 890x279 it's the window BG for the text. Everything works great, it's just when I scroll I have some issues depending on the display mode I have set. I know my computer is not great, but I know it can take this. Here are my basic specs:

RAM: 1gb
    Processor: 1.6GHz
    Graphics Card: Radeon HD 4650, 1GB VRAM (AGP)

I can play games like Resident Evil 5 almost 95% smooth, it only gets a little choppy when a lot stuff is on the screen at the same time but overall it runs great. I also play PES 11, smoothly. These are games that heavy on my machine but it can take them.

Now my project is 1 frame big. The frame dimesions are 1440x900 as I said there's only a few objects and NO background and it runs so poorly compared to those game I mentioned. Now here are the issues. When I run it in Standard at 640x480 res. it runs okay, but it STILL is choppy when it scrolls. At 800x600 it starts with a issues, it slows down a lot and it's choppy, also when it scrolls following the player. At 1024x768 Standard, it's a complete mess when it scrolls (these problems only happen when the frame starts scrolling to follow the character) slows down, choppy. Now in DirectX mode it runs mostly smooth and when it scrolls there a little bit of chop here and there but all in all it runs smooth on any resolution. DX+VRAM Runs the best, but when I added the semi-transparent text window BG it slowed down like hell. So all in all DirectX mode is the one that works good with a little chop here and there, but it worries me still cos this game basically does not any graphics yet and it runs like I have so many things on screen and I do not. So when I really start adding graphics I am afraid to think about what a disaster this will be. Also I will have a World Map which are usually big and have a lot of content in them and my game resolution I want it at 1024x768, no lower.I tried this in a another computer with less power than mine (RAM 512GB, Processor 1.6GHz and Graphics Card 128MB VRAM) and it runs the same. So I know this is not on my end, it's something on MMF's end that messing up or something.

In the help file it says the DirectX Mode is slower than Standard, but in this case it seems to be the 100% opposite of that.

I would appreciate some assistance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Standard vs. DirectX vs. DirectX+VRAM

Just use the HWA build...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen that same thing at times in terms of the DirectX mode being a bit faster based on what the app/game was doing, I make apps not games though. I have used the HWA some but I use the java version more than anything and now doing flash exports. While there are some objects lost in using HWA verses standard MMF, as well as with any other build type other than standard for obvious reasons, the large the size, in terms of frame size, the slower the game will run. I think, though not sure, HWA was the solution to that issue and Click Team has done an outstanding job in all the versions and builds that I have used so you may want to take MuddyMoles advise as I have seen wonderful results in HWA in the past and have considered using it myself recently.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera
    I have seen that same thing at times in terms of the DirectX mode being a bit faster based on what the app/game was doing, I make apps not games though. I have used the HWA some but I use the java version more than anything and now doing flash exports. While there are some objects lost in using HWA verses standard MMF, as well as with any other build type other than standard for obvious reasons, the large the size, in terms of frame size, the slower the game will run. I think, though not sure, HWA was the solution to that issue and Click Team has done an outstanding job in all the versions and builds that I have used so you may want to take MuddyMoles advise as I have seen wonderful results in HWA in the past and have considered using it myself recently.
    My frame is not big and it's almost empty I have worked with bigger frames before in Standard MMF full of graphics , overlays, parallaxes, actives and this did not happen, I would understand if my map was full of objects but it is not. I think my point is that something is wrong.

I never used the HWA and I am still skeptical about it. What objects will I lose if I use the HWA? What changes will I have to make? In case I don't use the HWA, is DirectX mode okay to use? It just doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. I will remind that this only happens when the map scrolls following the character, if nothing is scrolling it works fast.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleFirefly 3D Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Geohound
    My frame is not big and it's almost empty I have worked with bigger frames before in Standard MMF full of graphics , overlays, parallaxes, actives and this did not happen, I would understand if my map was full of objects but it is not. I think my point is that something is wrong.

I never used the HWA and I am still skeptical about it. What objects will I lose if I use the HWA? What changes will I have to make? In case I don't use the HWA, is DirectX mode okay to use? It just doesn't make sense to me why this would happen. I will remind that this only happens when the map scrolls following the character, if nothing is scrolling it works fast.
    Sorry my bad, as you explained the larger your resolution the more issues you have. That is what I was talking about and used bad verbiage.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's DirectX okay to use? In the help file says it's slower than standard but it seems to work better.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, JUST USE HWA!
    It will fix your problems, and you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it - it doesn't overwrite the standard version, so you can have both installed at the same time.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I recommend HWA as well. You can find the HWA build in this forum in case you didn't know.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't overwrite your Standard MMF files with HWA - it might make some issues in Standard version if you try to reopen the file there and you added some HWA entries only.