User Tag List

Thread: Special kind of scrolling problem..

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special kind of scrolling problem..

Hey guys.. been trying to wrap my head around this for a little while.. can't seem to dream up a simple way of doing this.. i'll try to explain what I want to achieve.

We've all seen the zelda scrolling, where when you hit the edge it shifts the screen along 1 screen, this is similar to what I want.. except I want the player to be able to scroll within a fixed scrollable area... haha hmm..

In my game my players visible window size is 320x240, with (for example, but will be much bigger in practice) an overall frame size of 1280x960. I want the player to be able to freely scroll within a 640x480 area, and once he hits the edge it moves up/down/left/right to a new 640x480 area to walk/scroll around within...

did i make that clear at all... i've uploaded a quick sketch that might illustrate it better...

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4491/exampleqm.png

basically I have a 320x240 visible window I want the player to only be able to scroll around in a fixed area of 640x480 until he walks off the edge of that area.. any ideas how I can achieve this without using too many actives etc.?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Special kind of scrolling problem..

Hmm... You may have to calculate the XY distance from the 0,0 point to the points where you want the screen to scroll. Either that or you can use detectors at specific coordinates. This is all right from the top of my head, so it might not work at all.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Special kind of scrolling problem..

thanks for your response... I'm kinda hoping for a more detailed answer though... i can succesfully limit the scrolling to a single 640x480 area.. but then it gets messy.. i think i could do it if i made like 100 seperate events testing the x/y position of the player is within certain ranges.. but there must be a more efficient way? any ideas anyone?

also, never mind the zelda style screen shift.. if i can just figure out a simple way to section off the screen while allowing scrolling within the sections, i can do the rest from there...