User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vitalize future?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Vitalize future?

Quote Originally Posted by SortaCore
    but it hasn't got all the features of an editbox
    Sort Core, thanks so much for the input, i have looked at the Flash Input just a bit. Your statement kind of supports what I am talking about though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kimera I agree with you. Vitalize is one of the best mobile formats.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Which only works under windows and requires the user to install a plug in.

So
    For general public its a flop
    For specific applications of use some people seem to find it useful

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other companies are promoting their formats/plugins instead of popular ones and are going positive with it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wish would be continuing Vitalize as a web plug in. Windows OS market share is huge over mac, iOS and linux. Windows has a 90.90% market share as web client.

Here is a link for January 2011 on wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

A small visual Vitalize face lift to bring it current may be the only thing needed.

Now that I see the market share, I am going start converting my apps to vitalize and see what happens.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, just to put some prespective on this, I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here. But let me state now, I am NOT against Vitalise.

Ok... I am the local tech guy in my area. Everyone in my neighbourhood gets free tech support and that has spanned out around Waterford where I've got some paid tech support work too, but not enough... Anyway, suffice to say, a lot of folks have my number and call when their computer throws something at them they don't know about.

And this includes plugins. Every so often I get a call from one of them saying they turned on their computer and got a message saying Flash wasnted to install an update, what should they do? Or they were online and Adobe Acrobate Reader wanted to install an update, what should they do? Or their antivirus software is saying it's going to expire, what should they do??? You get the point. These are all everyday stuff to computer users so when someone calls with concern about these, it's easy to smile because it's such a trivial thing...

Now, Vitalise... No one has ever called me and said they went to a website and their web browser said it wanted to install Vitalize, what should they do? BUT... That doesn't mean it doesn't happen...

Joe Blogs visits your website and is happily browsing around when he sees you advertsing a game, that you can play online in your browser, you don't have to download it and install it. Cool!!!

He clicks the link and suddenly his browser throws a message at him saying your website wants to install a plugin called Vitalise. Joe Blogs is worried, he calls his tech support guy.

Joe tells his TSG about the message he has just got.

Joe:
    "What should I do?"

TSG:
    "Vitalise? I've never heard of it. What type of website are you at?"

Joe:
    "It's a website by a game developer. He has some games available to play which you can download and install on your computer to play them but he says on his site that this game plays online in your browser."

TSG:
    "Joe, you have to careful about installing stuff on your computer from an unknown source. It could be a virus or giving someone access to your system and all the information on it."

Joe:
    "Oh, I don't like that."

TSG:
    "It's up to you, Joe. If you know this guy and trust him, go ahead, it should be ok."

Joe:
    "What if I email him and ask him about it?"

TSG:
    "He could tell you it's fine but secretly hoping you'll install some virus or back door access to your system. I've never heard of Vitalise. If it was Flash or Java I'd say go ahead, but Vitalise, I don't know what that is."

Joe:
    "What would you do?"

TSG:
    "Unless I knew what I was installing, I wouldn't do it."

Joe:
    "Oh, ok then. Thanks."

Call ends, Joe goes to another website, he now has a concern that your website could be out to do him harm.

Next day, Joe meet's Alice at the shops. they get talking.

Alice:
    "So how is the new computer going for you, Joe?"

Joe:
    "Great. But I had a close call there the other day. Nearly got conned by a virus writer to install something nasty onto my computer."

Alice:
    "Oh dear!!"

Joe:
    "Yeah, let me tell you about it..."

Now, you've probably read this and thought, no way, this is far fetched. But for new comers to computing, it's not. I have people call me because they are worried about Flash, Adobe, they are worried when their antivirus software tells them it needs to be renewed! So when they are presented with a plugin called Vitalise that their tech support guy doesn't know anything about and tells them to be careful... In the end you cold end up driving a person away from your site, and have that person tell others to steer clear.

Now as I said, I'm not against Vitalise. When it first came out, I actually posted a thread to these forums tells folks to get it out there, to make Vitalise Websites like the way there are Flash websites. But the problem is, it hasn't taken off. Now, if there was no Flash, no Java, for MMF, if all we had was Vitalise, I'd be all for keeping it. But we have these new and more recognised exporters available now. To go back to Joe again...

Joe:
    "I'm trying to play a game on some guys website, it says it plays in the browser, I don't need to download and install it, but when I click on the link for it, my broswer is asking me to install Flash. What's that?"

TSG:
    "Flash, that's fine, don't worry about that. Go ahead and install it, it's a well known plugin, you'll have no worries there. Hope you enjoy the game."

And there's the difference. When I think of all the extra work Yves has to put in to keep Vitalise going, and I see that we have Flash and Java exporters available to us, and I consider the unknown nature of Vitalise when presented to a user, I would much rather scrap it and have Yves and Francois work on the new up to date stuff for us.

I'll say one more time, I'm NOT against Vitalise, but when you look at it from all sides, it gives you pause for consideration...
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there were two things wrong with Vitalize installations:
    1) They don't tell you "You must install Vitalize to display this part of the page"
    2) They don't install automatically like Flash does. If a user doesn't have Flash, he doesn't have to leave the website to get it. He just hits "OK" and the browser installs a CAB file.
    The thing that put me off is I found it too difficult to install Vitalize... I think the link was wrong or something. If Vitalize did the same thing as Flash with new installations, there might not be a problem.
    I just tried going on a Vitalize page now (this PC hasn't got it) and I got told "To protect your security, IE has blocked the website from installing a plugin."
    After confirming it was OK, I got a tiny thumbnail image (non-Vitalize) and it stayed that way for some time. After a refresh, it was back to IE 'protecting my security'.

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SortaCore, Vitalize! IS automatically installed with Internet Explorer, you have nothing to do, just click the confirmation message displayed by IE...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting... could be some security settings, ironically. I'll try at home later.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe if people knew more about Java they would hesitate using it. Jave in general is more of a security risk than Vitalize. I have Java disabled in my browser and will enable it with caution. Knock on wood, I haven't had a browser crash in years because I disable java.

MMF java is safe because it has no access to a users computer. But that's mmf java.

Maybe a Vitalize name change. I'm guessing here, but I think most young adults and kids don't even know what the verb vitalize means.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast