User Tag List

Thread: Show-stopping error: cannot load CharImage.mfx

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show-stopping error: cannot load CharImage.mfx

I'm developing an application (a game) using the HWA runtime and the Character Image extension (needed to get the fonts right) for some time now and bumped off a new bug yesterday.

I sent the application for a quick test, to check it out on an old Sony Vaio laptop running Windows XP (to measure performance on lower-end computers) and learned it just won't start, because it "cannot load CharImage.mfx".

All my friend is getting is a Windows error message saying "Cannot load CharImage.mfx. This object might need an external program or library not yet installed". I tried reinstalling the latest Character Image to my MMF2 and then rebuilding the app, but still the same error occurred.

I found some info on the net, that my friend might be missing the msvcr71.dll in his system32 folder, but unfortunately he had it there. We changed it's name in Safe Mode and then thrown in a new version there, but still, it didn't help. I also tried throwing it (the dll) into the app's root folder, alongside with the runtime version of CharImage.mfx (I know, desperate) - still no go.

Do you guys have any experience with this kind of an error? What should I do exactly to be sure that it won't pop up again on any of my users computers? Let me just add that this error is not reproducable on any of my computers, running both XP and Win7, so I'm pretty sure this must be a system-related error, still I have currently no idea how to fix this (or work around it) without gutting the whole computer. I have not met with this error with any of my previous applications (although all of 'em were developed in standard MMF2, no HWA, don't know if that's an issue).

If anyone could help or at least throw in an idea on how to deal with this or what might have caused this, I'd appreciate it.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Show-stopping error: cannot load CharImage.mfx

Hi koobare,

perhaps you need to install the .net Framework or another Development "Extension" from Microsoft MSVC++ Redist (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84).

But perhaps someone with more insight into this could give you better hints.

Greets,

jahkri

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Re: Show-stopping error: cannot load CharImage.mfx

I think it needs the VC++ 2008 runtime files rather than the VC++ 2010 files :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en