User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Retina Resolution Graphics?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retina Resolution Graphics?

This was discussed in the earlier betas, but now that beta 12 works on all the iPhone resolutions properly, I'd like to ask about the progress now.

How can we make a game which runs with retina graphics (ie. double the resolution) on an iPhone 4 and with "normal" resolution graphics on an iPhone 3/3gs?

In the .zip files which MMF exports to there is a resource folder with retina graphics such as "Default@2x", however the other game images are not in there (someone mentioned they were embedded in the cci?) and so I can't see how to make this work.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Retina Resolution Graphics?

yeah, it would be amazing to be able to use 2 sets of graphics but at the moment all the graphic resources are encrypted in the cci...for whatever reasons.

this is one of the great features of the iOS, being able to have two sets of graphics so they look good on both device resolutions, and not all scaled and blurry from auto scaling.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it's an important aspect too. Having your game run with good graphics on both resolutions is a big selling point. Many people with iPhone 4s will complain if a game is autoresized and blurry.

As it currently stands, is there a point in making a game with 960x640 resolution in the MMF Runtime? Do they run on iPhone 3/3gs? I haven't tested that yet.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

> Do they run on iPhone 3/3gs? I haven't tested that yet.

And the Ipad? Do they run on it?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A 640x960 game is resized (by half) when it is played on a non retina display. So yes you can have hires games.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but can we use our own graphics for the halved version? resizing high res stuff sometimes doesn't look too great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly, what RhysD says is right, we can't rely on the resizing method of the engine to always be the best option.

Secondly, surely resizing a 640x960 game to 320x480 is a lot of strain on a 3g/3gs CPU? Or is this done once beforehand for all graphics instead of in real time?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It certainly works in Ipad and 3nd gen and 2nd gen terminals, but the game is very slow when scale. I tried it on my devices.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's likely to be difficult to have more than one set of graphics for each object as this concept is not currently supported by MMF. You can clone an app at a new size which you could then update but this leaves you with two separate apps.

I don't know what the nice answer is to this, if there is one that is practical. I could imagine that one possible solution could be to make a tool that would read in two iphone projects, one as the master and one that contains the scaled down version of the graphics, and then to somehow merge the two. The question to ask is creating a tool practical? And it would be a nightmare for developers to maintain two identical MMF projects.

So I don't see any easy answer unless something inside MMF changes to support graphic mode sizes, or if there is a better idea for graphic substitution.
    Andy H @ ovine.net
    Awful Jokes - a new cartoon every day: http://awful.ovine.net/
    Ovine's games: http://www.ovine.net

Clickteam Clickteam

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You could clone your app with half the size as Andos says, and then just import it at the end of the application, customize the graphics if you want, and at runtime jump to the first frame of the second application on low res iPhones.

Not ideal, but I don't see a better way if you want a unique app that works on different devices with different resolutions.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast