User Tag List

Thread: Atari type Templete

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atari type Templete

Got a little project going a templete with the Atari specs I could find for quick cheap projects. Got the 4 color screen limit but don't get the same resalution on some sites. So what I need is a single sprite is set at 8x8 for the graphics also set to grid. Now is there a number of lines up and across to set overall look right? I got 190x160 for the resolution. Is this right? Thanks

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Atari type Templete

Which Atari?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2600 is the templete to see how far it did'nt go! Something different! Thanks

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww... The Atari 2600... My very first games console (wait, that's a lie, I had a pong games console before that... Oh the memories!!). Anyway, that console ported out to TV, there was no such thing as HiDef in those days so I think the resolution was the standard 720 x 576.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to wikipedia: "On a conventional NTSC color television, maximum resolutions generally fell between 256 and 320 pixels per line, and 192 to 240 lines per screen."
    Aka it either used doubled or tripled pixels.

EDIT: The background was only 40 pixels wide, stretched over the screen.

EDIT2: The above would seem to be inaccurate, the article on the 2600's graphics chip makes it quite clear that it only did 160 pixels of horizontal resolution, and only for the player sprites, at 8 pixels each, background was 40-pixels. It was apparently still 192 of vertical. It's line based, so vertical resolution is effectively 192 for everything
    So:
    160x192 resolution, stretched horizontally ~2x
    40x192 background (technically 20x192 stretched, cloned, or flipped horizontally)
    8x192 2x player sprites, stretchable horizontally 1,2,4, or 8x
    1x192 3x "ball" and "missile" sprites, also stretchable like the players
    4 colours per line, "background", "playfield/ball", "player1/missile1", "player2/missile2"

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exact graphic specs for the Atari are a little tricky, as there are a number of techniques to display images on screen.

If I recall correctly, the background is a maximum 40 pixels wide, but to get that, it has to be duplicated or mirrored horizontally. (but there are tricks to get around that) I'd stick with 40 pixels wide, or whatever you can see in a screenshot. (though, when I say 40, those are WIDE pixels)

As for sprites, they are all 8 pixels wide (double width, so virtually 16 pixels) Different game engines work differently, so some games have single height pixels for sprites, and some have double height pixels (making it blockier)

Maximum 2 sprites per line, plus 2 "missles" and a "ball", which are essentially 1 pixel each.

Sprites, balls and missles are only 8 pixels wide, but they can be ANY height.

Also everything on atari is monochrome, but the color can be changed every vertical pixel, producing some very colorful stuff.

These are the basics, but programmers have been known to push the atari beyond the standard specs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, just see space invaders if you want a game that shatters the "number of sprites per line" limit.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help! And the pushing the engines is basically what i was wondering it seems it could do more as with everything it seemed like we missed alot it could have done!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting to make a webpage regarding Atari 2600 graphics in an effort to make it simple to understand.
    Edits are welcome!
    http://aloan.site90.net/atari_graphics_simplified.html
    more to come with example files mfa... etc which will be coming from this page which I also had made:
    http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8457
    all will be merged to a single awesome webpage with pictures etc.. so the page is very early (wip) and was started today June 17th, 2014. The webpage is also being made with real Atari 2600 colors (out of it's palette of 128) isn't that awesome?