User Tag List

Thread: How to make save game function for flash?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make save game function for flash?

How do you make a save game function in your game if you plan to transfer it to flash and upload it to a web portal? Where does it store the save games when you play a game on the internet?

I noticed there was a tutorial on save games but when i opened it, it contained the blowfish object and i have seen that object is not compitable with flash so maybe it wont work?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to make save game function for flash?

I've actually been wondering this as well. I don't own the Flash Exporter, but I've heard Flash runs in a sandbox environment, so does that make it impossible to save games?

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can save using the Ini object, which is compatible with flash.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can confirm, as my current game uses an ini file to save. This works 100% fine .

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it saves as ini to your pc (like a cookie).

However i guess if you goto another computer it wont load the save?

Clicker Fusion 2.5SWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is correct, each computer will have it's own individual save.

If the user for whatever reason clears their "flash cookies" the data will be gone. However, flash cookies are stored in a different location then internet cookies, so most end users don't know where to look, much less where to delete them.

If you want something like an account based system independant of computers, from what I understand you'll probably need a server and login system of some kind. I have no experience setting one up, so hopefully some other members with more experience can help explain how this would be set up. It requires a physical server somewhere though, which means it's not free to set up(from my limited understanding of the system).

Most flash games use the flash cookie method. It's simple, to the point, and for arcade games that users will probably revisit on the same home or work PC, flash cookies work just fine. Most users probably will understand if their flash saved game is associated with a certain PC.

Hope this helps,

300happy

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So its the Ini object to go for then.. Is there any tutorial on how to do this? I know there is some info on the ini object in the tutorial section but not on actual saving as far as i know?

If you want to say put up your game on FGL for sponsors to a internet portal and want the player to be able to save their game on the portal this would work?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 300happy
    If you want something like an account based system independant of computers, from what I understand you'll probably need a server and login system of some kind. I have no experience setting one up, so hopefully some other members with more experience can help explain how this would be set up. It requires a physical server somewhere though, which means it's not free to set up(from my limited understanding of the system).
    Not to steal the thread, but I'd like to mention that there are plenty of free webhosts that allow you to use php and mySQL which works for all my saving/loading needs. It's quite simple after you have a basic understanding of how to make user accounts.