User Tag List

Thread: Enemy Movement

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enemy Movement

Okay, so on one frame, I made a test where two zombies were in the same room as the player. The player goes to the stairs tile which "teleports" him to the the other room, supposedly acting as if he went upstairs. The problem is, how can I get the zombies to follow the player? I wanna know if there are zombies still downstairs and the player is upstairs, how will I get the zombies to go upstairs too?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Enemy Movement

It's probably not realistic to try and track activity on floors other than the one the player is on.

How about...

When the player exits a floor, you store the distance and angle of each of the zombies from the exit (using parsed string, array, or whatever).

Then on the next floor, you count down each of these distance values until they reach zero - at which point you create a new zombie at the entrance. So if they were right behind you on the previous floor, it won't be long before they appear on the next floor.

If the player goes back to the previous floor, you could reposition the zombies in the same direction from the exit as they were before, but use the new distance (which has been counting down remember) - so they'd be closer now.

Obviously that would give them the ability to walk through walls while you're on a different floor, but so what? It's no less realistic than re-spawning killed enemies when you walk away, which many, many games do.