User Tag List

Thread: Making levels only avalible after being completed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making levels only avalible after being completed

I'm very confused about making levels avalible from the menu only after being completed... I need help making it that way, I also need help on telling the application that when the player clicks on the button to go to a certain level, to make him teleport there. Thanks in advance.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Making levels only avalible after being completed

there are many ways to do this.
    probably easiest way is to have an ini file with a value you use to determine wether a level is unlocked or not.

This could be as simple as:
    currentLevel = 5
    which would mean that the player has unlocked up to level 5.
    Or you wanted it to be more diverse you could have a value for each level so players can unlock them in whatever order they want.

Personally though I would use a binary array each bit representing a level. 0 = locked, 1 = unlocked.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uprize View Post
    Personally though I would use a binary array each bit representing a level. 0 = locked, 1 = unlocked.
    Can anyone explain this a bit more in detail? I still don't understand.

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cant say anything about the ini route because i've never really messed with it but one way that may work would be cross referencing each stage to your main menu. For example you may be able to make the menu screen global, then set an alterable value (for example stage select) and give it x amount depending on your stages (10 for 10 stages, 20 for 20 and so on) and add the menu to each of your stage frames. When you complete a stage, have the main menu value change +1. For example:

(on stage 3's frame)
    Start of Frame - "Main Menu" - Alterable Values - Set = "Main Menu equals 1"

This should set the main menu to show the 2nd stage to pick from. From there, just make an event that when you select stage 2 it will jump to that frame. Hope that helps and makes sense lol

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GameMaker2019, you should just make a new thread and not revive several old ones. :P

To save progress in a game, you'll have to write to an actual file on the computer/device because otherwise the game won't keep track of your progress if you restart it.

You can use many different methods to do this, but they are mostly all very similar.

You could use an ini object which might be the easiest for beginners. Or just use the array object.

Look for some tutorials on saving with INI objects... they are plentiful. When a player completes a level or whatever, you would just save a value to the INI to represent that, and when they reload the game, it would check to see what that value is.... So for example if they have not completed a level, the value could just be 0 (which is the default value) and if they have completed a level, the value could be 1. So the game would just have a condition "is this ini value = 1? if so, then mark that level complete"

Actually two of my examples in my signature show methods of saving data. The level editor example shows using an INI. The scrolling level array shows simple saving with an array object.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes a INI file will do the job fine. For example once you finish a level set the ini file to 1. Ie Level 1=1.

Then on the main menu, you would have it that if LEVEL=1 then the level is available.

Best to look at the ini guides. It's easy when you have done it a few times but could be daunting at first.