User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MMF2 has started switching off aero on Win 7...

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: MMF2 has started switching off aero on Win 7...

Quote Originally Posted by SToP_GAP
    ...but I think the 32-bit addressing limit is 4gb not 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong there?)

I switched to 32 because the lack of driver support for printers and various devices I own has never been resolved. Unfortunately this includes a heavy duty printer which cost a LOT of money for printing direct onto CD/DVDs, laminates, A3 and has a funky cutter die for physically cutting out designs from paper, plastic or card. I just can't afford to replace it right now and the manufacturer has point blank refused to support it so I'm a bit stuck alas.
    You're right about 32bit limits being 4Gb, not 3Gb. But it's your printer that caught my attention, it sounds COOL!! What is it? I'd love to Google it and see what it's like .
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually only have 2gb at the moment, so that doesn't matter... but I think the 32-bit addressing limit is 4gb not 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong there?)

I switched to 32 because the lack of driver support for printers and various devices I own has never been resolved. Unfortunately this includes a heavy duty printer which cost a LOT of money for printing direct onto CD/DVDs, laminates, A3 and has a funky cutter die for physically cutting out designs from paper, plastic or card. I just can't afford to replace it right now and the manufacturer has point blank refused to support it so I'm a bit stuck alas.

I still don't get why the exact same configuration just in 32 bit flavour is resulting in this happening though, that is literally the only change to the spec so it has the same RAM, pagefile, GPU etc etc.
    The problem might be from your motherboard (memory mapped IO reservations). Check if your motherboard is windows 7 ready. You could always insert 4 GB and see if 4 GB is mapped. If not then I believe you have to change your motherboard or use windows server.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but I think the 32-bit addressing limit is 4gb not 3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong there?)
    There is physical memory (RAM) and virtual memory (link). Both are 4GB on 32-bit, but not all of that is usable:

The physical memory space includes: RAM, GFX-RAM and memory-mapped IO, with the last 2 taking priority over the first. If your graphics card maps 0.5GB of physical ram space, and your motherboard/hard-disk-controller/etc map another 0.5GB, you have 3GB left for RAM. Another system might map 0.25GB and 0.25GB, which would let you use 3.5GB of RAM. In theory a system that didn't use memory-mapped IO or mapped graphics ram could support a full 4GB of RAM. 3GB is typical.

Physical memory has to be mapped into virtual memory to be used, and can be mapped differently per-program.

The Virtual Memory space is divided in half between user memory (2GB) and system memory (2GB). Virtual memory can be mapped to anything from the physical memory section, but memory-mapped IO and GFX-RAM are normally only mapped into the "system" virtual memory space. A boot option (/3GB) allows you to change this divide to 3GB user / 1GB system, but it rarely works as the whole system memory space ends up getting used for mapped IO and GFX-RAM, leaving no space for the system to use any regular RAM.

The physical memory limitation limits how much RAM your system will recognise, the virtual memory limitation limits how much RAM a program can use. They are actually independent, some older 64-bit PCs only have 32-bit motherboard chipsets, meaning they have the ~3GB physical RAM limit, without the per-program limit, and you can run 32-bit software on a 64-bit PC, giving you the 2GB-per-program limit, without the physical RAM limit. A fully 64-bit system has no practically-reachable limits.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Paul - it is a Euro variant of this model (I ordered it from abroad as it wasn't sold in the UK) but with some add-on cutting accessories and stuff:
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Epson_Stylus_Pro_4000/C511001UCM/ps/341502

Dynasoft - thanks for that, most informative!

As for the problem... I still cannot work out why this is happening. I have tried reverting to an older build of MMF (249) which has 100% definitely worked fine with Aero Glass and still no dice. I've tried a range of different NVidia drivers from the current one, to older ones to a beta one from guru3d.com and still nothing changes.

I found something else strange:

If I set Windows Basic theme (ie. Aero off) and then load MMF, I can then select a theme which enables Aero Glass and it works fine, MMF included.

If I close and reopen MMF then it kicks out the Aero Glass again (which I expected)

However, if I get it into Aero Glass active with MMF running (as above), then load a second copy of MMF, Aero Glass kicks out but then upon closing the second copy of MMF, Aero Glass is re-enabled, leaving the first copy running with Aero Glass enabled.

I'm really stumped - I can't find anything useful on the web about this - any further thoughts anyone???

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Having poked around a little more, it seems restarting the desktop window manager (which is what I'm guessing is happening when I change theme) also re-enables Aero Glass.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2