User Tag List

Thread: Protecting a clock based game

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protecting a clock based game

I was just curious how a person would go about stopping someone from adjusting their computer clock and speeding up a game, which could be sort of cheating. Like say you had something that you needed to check the clock and compare, similar to FarmVille, Animal Crossing, etc. Is there any way to prevent that locally, if you had it be something you run on your PC, and not a website/server? It's something I've though about in the past and couldn't think of how you might go about doing that.

It's not really a big deal I suppose, if someone wants to cheat on the game then that's their business (assuming you aren't doing some multiplayer or leaderboard thing). But I'm still curious if that's possible to do. I guess you could have it check some remote clock of some sort online, but I wouldn't even begin to have a clue how you'd do that. And if they had no internet access, or that server went offline, the game would essentially be broken.

I remember reading about this iPad game, Smurf Village, which was basically a FarmVille clone, and they had to fix it because people were doing this.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Protecting a clock based game

I'd guess that the game could detect if a massive jump in time happened... And if it did, then trigger an event. But then things like Daylight Savings time would mess the game up...hmmm...I remember Petz had a protection, whereas you would skip days to speed up a petz' pregnancy, but they patched it and made it so that your pet wont give birth at all if you skip days...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shawn you could compare by Date & Time object (and similar ones) current date and time, and in-game compare it every let's say 30 seconds or five minutes - whatever you want. Also for protection you could write a code for a day saving days as well as 27-28 day long February and just make your day. The best thing is that you don't need to do any savings on the system and everything can be built into your app.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't really detect the difference between someone skipping forward and someone actually leaving the game for a while. You can, however, check if they skip the clock *back*.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynasoft
    You can't really detect the difference between someone skipping forward and someone actually leaving the game for a while. You can, however, check if they skip the clock *back*.
    Ah I see. That makes sense.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would probably have to take snapshots/timestamps of the current game time and reference them every second to make sure they don't advance too far forward or back track. But it may slow the game play down. I'm not sure.

That may be a good extension for someone to design?