User Tag List

Thread: Save custom data to server

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Save custom data to server

I'm looking for a solution that would enable me to save custom values and texts to a 3rd party server and retrieve the data in the game.

Whereas Mochi leaderboard saves the score, and displays it in a pre-defined format, I would like to save everything I want and load it into global/alterable values and customize the way I show the data, and which part of the data, to the user.

I could of course use my own php+MySQL+GetObject solution for this, but the downside is that when the game is released, it will generate too much traffic for the available bandwidth. So it would need to be a 3rd party.

I know Mochi Social has a feature like this, maybe GamerSafe too?, but I wouldn't like to tie the system to any user login, but rather just send and receive data "invisibly" to the user, i.e. no usernames and passwords involved. It's about public data that everyone can see.

Any ideas?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Save custom data to server

"when the game is released, it will generate too much traffic for the available bandwidth"

Are you sure about this? Plain text data is very minimal, I have websites that have more hits at a larger scale of data than my flash games have plays, and I have never come close to my bandwidth limits.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem isn't the bandwidth in terms of the number of GB of data you get to send down a pipe in a month, it's the amount you can send down a pipe at speed at any time. Flash games have popularity spikes, especially when they are first released, so suddenly your server is bombarded with requests for data. This is a real problem for your standard shared webhost.

Really though, it's not a 10Mb pipe vs 100Mb pipe issue, it's the server processing. If you're running PHP, MySQL and Apache, and you're making them do a lot of work (when your game is released) then 20,000 players demanding data all within one hour is going to have an effect on the CPU. Again, a shared webhost will just melt at this demand.

It's sensible to look for third-parties that offer this service, but they'll want something in return. This will be branding, or require their API for a login/register, so you might be forced to roll your own service for your game. But then where do you host it? A shared webhost is not designed for spikes, so do you stick it on a dedicated server? That'll handle the spikes well, but you'll be paying for more than you need the majority of the time. Cloud hosting like Amazon's EC2 or Rackspace Cloud are best suited to scale with demand, but you pay a premium for it. A tricky thing to compromise if you don't have the resources.
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm thats interesting DizzyDoo. So if you were to write a Flash game that relied on MySQL as part of it's online data storage (such as player stats for a MMORPG), you'd better make sure you're running a dedicated server at a premium cost.

That's a useful thing to know.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advices.

I think I'll have to go with my own php+MySQL solution but make a few compromises in the game design so that this feature doesn't have such a central role that I originally planned for it. (to limit the demand spikes in data transfer)

As for third party solutions, I would be willing to include branding, links, etc, but the data transfer itself should be invisible to the user. But like said, for example Mochi requires that their user account API is used in these purposes.

Forum Moderator Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Hmm thats interesting DizzyDoo. So if you were to write a Flash game that relied on MySQL as part of it's online data storage (such as player stats for a MMORPG), you'd better make sure you're running a dedicated server at a premium cost.
    I'm not sure I would. :P If I had the money, sure. But I'd be more likely to go for a VPS solution. They're fairly cheap, and can be scaled up and down a lot like cloud servers. They're not really as scalable, and they don't do it automatically, but it gives you some control to 'grow' your server as your MMO gets more popular.

Still, it depends on the game. If it's an MMO then you get a much more consistent, constant number of players. You can predict they'll increase in the evenings and at the weekend. But a normal flash game (the kind which I presume MJK is talking about) is unpredictable. The first 5 days will be high traffic, but who knows when a popular portal will front-page you? Or when it'll be spread on twitter suddenly? It's much harder to plan for those occasions.

But yes. Dedicated server if you can. And I really like MongoDB as a database solution (it's document based, rather than table based) as you can scale easily by adding more Slave servers to a Master.

We're all guessing though, best thing to do is try things out. Hopefully it won't go too terribly wrong!
    Cranktrain - Currently finishing a new game called The Cat Machine!
    @MattLuard on Twitter.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to do your own php, I'd like to suggest https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ because they do load balancing. When your site spikes - it's handled across several servers. Also, they are cheap. 2 cents per day for php/mysql plus, $1 per gb of transfer, plus 1 cent per mb per month for storage. Prepaid, $20 lasts me a year for 2 small sites including the domain renewals. You don't even need a domain with them. They will let you create a 3rd level domain, such as, yourDomainNameHere.nfs.net - but you can't get a static IP because of the way they do the load balancing. Your site must only use port 80(regular webpage type access). No https, background apps, etc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... if you are making something like dofus (www.dofus.com) but within the capabilities of MMF Dev, then might I interest you in the following solution...

- MMF Flash exporter
    - Lacewing for Flash Client
    - Lacewing server for EXE (also created by MMF Dev) running on the Server (VPS cause you need some ports opened).
    - SQL Server Object (sqlserver.mfx) for MMF Dev created Lacewing Server to talk to your SQL server.

So basically your Flash client (SWF) talks to your Lacewing Server (EXE) via Lacewing object and your Lacewing Server (EXE) talks to your SQL. Again you need a VPS (Virtual Private Server).

This might be more costly than the PHP solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, thanks for sharing the ideas.