User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ban and kick features?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ban and kick features?

I'm not sure for myself. but are there ban/kick features for Online games?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Ban and kick features?

Some games have kick/ban features, though it depends on the type of game. Obviously implementing something that can be abused by the players is a problem.

What are you making?

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMORPG shooting game. with Mooclick.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a design perspective, virtually any tool you give to the players that exercises any form of power over other players WILL be abused and cause more harm than good. But as far as implementations, theres a whole nother host of problems- how do you create an effective 'ban' system? Do you ban people based on their accounts to the game, or via cdkeys used to authenticate it, or based on their IP addresses? Each has huge flaws, and nothing is perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going with banning anyone on that IP address for a number of hours, but I don't know how to get it working. I don't even have sprites for my game yet. so it probably wont happen so soon.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not hard to implement a ban system that won't be abused. A simple vote kick feature fixes that. As long as you don't give the power to only one person it's fine. Don't ask me how to code that though :P

Edit: Wait, MMORPG or just online multiplayer shooter? Like CoD, Halo, Counter Strike, yada yada? If it's a MMO game, then that's a problem I don't know how you could fix, unless you elected admins you can trust to police the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I meant... But I don't know how. to make admins, but there will be a vote kick feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm probably going to be one of the only admins, but I may elect moderators that can only kick some players from the server.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess even in a MMO game vote kick would work. The game basically would track how many votes they get against them, they get a certain amount from unique IP's and the game auto kicks them. So if it was a big world, it would work anyway, as long as enough people ran into the player abusing the game.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its sort of the field of dreams "if you build it, they will come" effect. No matter what you do, the potential for misuse and abuse will outweigh the benefits, unless you're simply allowing host privileges (which a host could do anyway if he knew how to configure his router).

For example, in a game with an MMORPG with a votekick, a group of players might take an unsuspecting victim into some area, and right as 'loot' drops they'll instantly kick/ban him together. Or, much more generically, players tend to gang up and persecute each other.

See it makes sense from the perspective of whoever is running the server being able to ban people as he pleases, since he already has that capability just by stifling connections. Or hiring admins to police it as Shawn said. But looking at games like DotA and Halo, its very easy to see that giving players a tool to use against each other and expecting discretion is a raw draw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast