User Tag List

Thread: Way to read a remote computer's event logs?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to read a remote computer's event logs?

I'd like to be able to view the event logs on a remote machine. Any Object You know of which can do this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Way to read a remote computer's event logs?

As far as I know, no MMF2 object can do that.
    But Windows has a built-in way of doing that, if you do some research.
    Administrative Tools>Event Viewer in Windows XP Control Panel, then choose Action>Connect to another computer in the window menu. That should work.
    I think it requires the correct privileges and services running on both computers.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have the Dev version of MMF2 then you could use the Com+ object to run a wia or VBS or the event view command. I don't have any examples but it is possible to get the information either through command line or Com+
    Be prepared to have to parse a lot of text if the event log is huge.
    What exactly are you trying to achieve? Serch an event in the log or do something based on the event in the log?
    You can setup event triggers that can do pretty much anything based on specific events that are produced by Windows.
    So much time is wasted developing 3rd party software on windows when the tools are already there but you just don't know about them.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies - Yes, there are propably ways of doing what I want to do using existing products (or native windows stuff)

I am familiar w/ connecting to another computer, and RDPing in, I just wanted to see if MMF could access a remote machine's logs.

I wear a few different hats at my job, and I use a little MMF app to keep track of some of the non-critical odds and ends and reminders. There are other ways to do this, but having one app (C.L.U) makes it easier (for me, at least).