User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Edit Hidden Files

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit Hidden Files

So with the INI++ and another extension, i have hid my game's important save files.

My query is this; Can i save to the game file while the file is still hidden, or do i have to reveal it during the game and hide it when the game is closed?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Edit Hidden Files

I just tested this out and you will have to change the file attributes to not be hidden. When I did a quick test ini file using Ini++ 1.5 it would not edit the file while it was hidden. Once I changed the file's attributes to no longer hidden and then tried to edit the file it worked.

Why hide the file? Ini++ 1.5 has an awesome feature of encrypting your ini files. In that way only your game/app can access the ini files. If a user tries to open an encrypted ini file in notepad they will get a bunch of gibberish.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, i have it hidden so that the user does "accidently" delete teh game file and lose all of their game data.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always keep a copy in an undisclosed location such as somewhere else on the hard drive. There's always the AppData folders. Create a folder in there for your game/app.

There will be users that will search their hard drive for folders with the name of your app. There will be users that will fudge with the files even though they know they know it's possible to really fudge something up.

If they then delete stuff from an AppData folder (which by default is a hidden folder) then they will just lose their game data. You can only do so much to try and deter people from fudging up things. If they delete it from the AppData folder then hopefully that would be a lesson learned on their part.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed Kracker, I just dont want anyone whose not looking for trouble to find trouble.

Also, this is the first time i've heard of the AppData Folder, care to explain more about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AppData folder is a folder in Windows Vista/7. The earlier equivalent of it was the Documents and Settings folder in XP.

AppData is located in:

C:\Users\Username\AppData

If you have your folder options set to hide hidden and system files then you won't see that folder. Applications create folders within one or multiple of the subdirectories of AppData.

In AppData are the following subdirectories:

- Local
    - LocalLow
    - Roaming

The main difference between the Local and Roaming is how the information can be accessed. The local can only be accessed from the machine it is actually stored on whereas data stored in Roaming can be accessed from any machine logged on for that user.

For example, you have a directory called MyCoolGame for a Windows Logon of Frank123. If MyCoolGame is only stored in Local then if Frank goes to another machine on the network and logs in with Frank123 he can't access that data. If it were stored in Roaming he could login to any computer on the network play your game/app and access that data.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker
    If it were stored in Roaming he could login to any computer on the network play your game/app and access that data.
    Only for networks that use roaming profiles, which are really quite rare.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kracker
    AppData folder is a folder in Windows Vista/7. The earlier equivalent of it was the Documents and Settings folder in XP.
    XP does actually have an equivalent folder, at C:\Documents and Settings\(Username)\Application Data .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does MMF2 have an automatic feature for finding the this AppData folder? I seem to think that it does, but i'm not quite sure.

If it doesn't. how would i detect what kind of computer a person has?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, you can use the File object's action - "Get Application Data folder" or something like that - to find the appropriate base location, and then add "/yourgamename/" as a folder to the end of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast