Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Accommodation for CC 2011

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Accommodation for CC 2011

Right, sorry for the delay folks... I have been busy speaking to various places to find a range of options for all price ranges, and indeed an HQ!

Sidney Sussex College
    Click here for more information

As we're trying something a little different this year with the convention we are not in a hotel. Instead I have located accommodation in one of the Cambridge University Colleges, namely Sidney Sussex College. This beautiful building has enough room for everyone attending to stay, should they wish, for all three nights (or more). This college is just a 2 minute walk from the venue and is right in the centre of Cambridge city and lots of shops and places to eat so it is a fantastic location for this year's CC HQ!

Single rooms with shared toilet/shower facilities are £45 ($72, €52) per night
    Single en-suite rooms are limited in number, but are £65 ($105, €74) per night
    Twin en-suite rooms are very limited and may be in another building, priced at £80 ($130, €92) per night.

Breakfast is included in the price and a £10 ($16, €11.5) deposit is payable upfront for the booking. [color:red](it seems that booking with deposits may be too complicated to manage at this stage - I will try to work this out if possible - assume upfront payment is required until further notice)[/color]

As with most hotels, there is lower age limit of 16 for single occupants. If you are under 16 and wishing to stay there you should contact them to enquire about this, you may be permitted with an accompanying parent/adult.

[color:red]************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************[/color]
    You can book through this link for the HQ:
    http://bit.ly/cc2011accomHQ

You just need to choose the correct dates and the rooms should be booked in Garden Court, Cloister Court or Blundell Court (more expensive but ensuite).

NB. Cromwell Court IS available, but it is about a 10 minute walk from the main HQ and the Click Convention venue - you have been warned!

The availability for these shows as low on the site but they do have more rooms available - the college explained to me that they just release them to the booking site in blocks each day as needed.
    [color:red]************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ****************************************[/color]

Cambridge Youth Hostel

For those on a more limited budget, there is a great Youth Hostel which is part of the international YHA. This is further away from the venue (about 20 minutes walk) but just a few minutes from the railway station and a short 10 minute walk to the coach stops and Cambridge city centre and shopping, ideal for anyone travelling to the convention without a car.

They offer mini dorm-style rooms from 4 to 8 people per room. You don't have to book a whole room but may of course end up sharing with people you don't know. I confirmed that they are happy to book rooms for groups so if there were a group of 4 or 8 of you staying, you could have the room just to your group.

Rooms are cheaper with a YHA card - in the UK these cost £9.95 for under 26 years or £15.95 for over. You should check here: http://www.hihostels.com/ for the cost of a card in your own country, or you can join when you get to Cambridge.

beds are £18.40 ($29.50, €21) for YHA members and £21.40 ($34, €25) for non members.
    This does not include breakfast which is £4.95 ($8, €6) if you want it.
    They may offer a group rate but I'll leave that for you all to sort out with them!

The Castle Bed & Breakfast

For those of you who have a little more cash to splash but don't fancy Sidney Sussex College, the Castle is about 5-10 minutes from the venue and offers rooms for £72 but there are only 6 rooms in the building (all available at the time of writing)

The Varsity Hotel & Spa

If you REALLY want to splash out, this hotel is fantastic and very plush indeed... but with a price tag to match of course... double rooms start at £170 ($270, €195) including breakfast, wifi, use of gym facilities etc. This hotel is just 2 minutes from the venue and will offer you a truly opulent stay in Cambridge if you want to make a bit of a holiday of it!

There are a number of other places to stay, including:
    Travelodge
    Holiday Inn
    Crowne Plaza

Plus a good number of B&Bs (which I'll happily help people with on an individual basis) but these are all a little further out. I'll let you check out details for yourselves if you are interested in those options.

So, if you are planning on staying at the convention and would like to stay at the "HQ" of Sidney Sussex College, please send me a PM to let me know so that I can sort out the bookings.

Please please please try to sort this out as early as possible to help us with the organisation as things are obviously a little more complex this year. We won't be able to guarantee a room at Sidney Sussex if you leave it late so don't delay!!

Don't forget that we will be there from Friday the 19th of August to Sunday the 21st (some may be staying on the evening of the 21st also).

Cheers,

Simon.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Accomodation for CC2011

Gosh too much choice but thanks Simon for your hard work! I will check in June which one I can afford but if anyone is looking for roommate you can count on me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of a holiday during the break. I suppose I could kill two birds with one stone if I go to the convention. I'll still need to make it cheap, though. I'm not entirely sure of my decision yet but I'll get back to you on it as soon as I can!

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much, Simon. The HQ location in the college is my first choice but I'm going to see how my budget pans out now that I have all the details. I'll try to get back to you A.S.A.P.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think the main choices are appropriate for me ... how far are these that you mentioned from the event?

Travelodge
    Holiday Inn
    Crowne Plaza

Holiday inn looks nice, but i dont want to be a million miles away.

Jason

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres a Travelodge or Premier Inn up the A14, which the M11 eventually joins onto, about 4 miles from the outskirts of Cambridge, at Cambridge Services.

Or something about a mile outside Cambridge is the Menzies Hotel and Golf Club at Bar Hill, also just off the A14

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDarby
    I don't think the main choices are appropriate for me ... how far are these that you mentioned from the event?

Travelodge
    Holiday Inn
    Crowne Plaza

Holiday inn looks nice, but i dont want to be a million miles away.

Jason
    Hey Jason,

http://bit.ly/cc2011-holidayinn Google Maps says 3.6 miles, about a 12 minute drive. Premier Inn is about the same distance - but upwards of £70 for a room.

For your reference, the postcode of the venue is CB2 1UA.

Might I enquire why you don't think the main options are suitable?

Crowne Plaza is quite close, under 10 minutes on foot but much higher prices (typical Cambridge/London prices really). It is really nice in there though, proper grand hotel kind of thing but modern.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Just to reassure people, the college is not a dive - this is Cambridge University so the standard is pretty high. From personal experience of rooms in other colleges in Cambridge they have all been of a higher standard than the Quality Hotel or Watermill if the comparison helps.

Here is the image from their promotional site of a typical room in one of their complexes:

Check out the link to the information page for Sidney Sussex ( http://www.travelbookingnetwork.com/...v=sidneysussex ) it really is a lovely old building, one of my favourites in Cambridge

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...makes my student accommodation for this year look like a joke.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am bringing two kids with me probably, so the rooms dont sound like they will be big enough.. but thanks for the links. 10 minutes walk etc sounds fine.

Jason

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast