User Tag List

Thread: Inexpensive Win7 Phone?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inexpensive Win7 Phone?

Apple has a nice alternative for testing iPhone apps, using an iPod Touch.

Has anyone heard of any plans from Microsoft to offer a Win7 handheld device that does not require an expensive data package from a carrier?

We already have 3 smartphones here but lack a Win7 for testing purposes and Im hoping to find a good alternative to paying for yet another monthly plan.

Can apps be tested on a phone using straight wifi or is an actual phone number and/or data plan required to function?

It seems the Zune is being phased out by the looks of the App Hubb, but I have not been able to find any serious current info on the device.

Ideally, I would like either a non serviced phone (would it work?) or a Win7 mp3 player similar to the iPod (Are there plans for M$ to make one of these?).

Thanks for any insight in advance...
    Alex Ramsay

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Inexpensive Win7 Phone?

Personally I Link m'y phone to the pc with a usb cāble. A Zune hd would be a good solution for you...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the suggestion.

Im hoping I can find an alternative to the Zune, it seems they are being phased out here in the states, they are very hard to find compared to the ipod (iPods can be purchased from vending machines in airports here in the states).

The drastic resolution diff between the Win7 Phone and Zune is what I am attempting to avoid.

Im starting to think purchasing a Win7 phone with no service may be the best route if it is allowed (operating with no carrier).

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But... Zune HDs are awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RickyRombo
    But... Zune HDs are awesome
    Yes, I agree.

A friend has one that I have access to and it is indeed a nicely designed product.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nokia teamed up with Microsoft recently. If you can hold off. Microsoft will be releasing their next os on Nokia hardware which should be a bit cheaper than the std HTC devices currently out there..

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zune HD is a great device, but from XNA v4 and on there's no support for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verizon (carrier I currently use) finally got a Win7 phone, a no service phone is around $500 - $600.

What I was hoping was that someone had read Microsoft had plans for a new Zune based off the Win7 specs (similar to what Apple does with the iPhone & iPod Touch).

I know they are very behind in what they had planned for W7P, maybe something will come of it yet in regards to a non-cell device.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the Zune being discontinued, I really did not see that as an alternative to an actual W7P since the hardware specs are much higher for the phone.