User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Low fps

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Low fps

I'm experiencing som very low fps with a game I just made, and I'm wodering what's the best way to improve it is. The game in itself is only around 5mb, and there are no objects larger than maybe 400x400. I think it's because I have alot of layers (around 9) that's scrolling at different speeds, because runs smoothly when standing still. Is there a way to work around this, or should you simply not use several layers when making a flash game?

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Low fps

I struggled to get a single layer with smooth scrolling, so I recommend to use only very few layers. Of course, there are more factors to consider like the number of AOs, Alpha channel, transparency, options like inactivate far from playfield, etcetc.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does having transparency really affect speed that much?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9 layers does sound like quite a lot. And a 400x400 in quite big (in Flash at least) There are a number of things you could do. If you're not already doing it, you could disable groups when they are not needed e.g.

How man mb is the game using when running the level?

Try copying the frame and experiment with deleting perhaps a layer at the time, and see what difference it makes (in mb).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried deleting all the "extra" layers, no difference in speed. The game uses 62mb when running the llevel in mmf. Just for the record, does mmf with or without HWA make any difference?

Also, does the number audio channels make a difference? Cause I have 8 of those running simultaneously as well...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think HWA makes any difference. But 62 mb is way too much for Flash. Try creating a counter and create an Always event, and set it to: FrameRate. This will give you an idea of when the game is running at desired speed.

Of course the specs of the computer will make a difference, but I always target below 20 mb for Flash projects to make the game smooth on a minimum specced system. Maybe more people have some input regarding this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleh, flash sucks. I'm trying to make a game for Kongregates Project Eden Music Game Contest, it's just so damn hard to make a good looking/sounding game with the limitations of flash. Ah well, guess I gotta try to slim it down. And I think the large size is due to the music files being wav, but those get compressed once the project gets exported. Speaking of kongregate, does anyone know how the kongregate extension works? I have downloaded it, but I'm not good at programming, is there a manual to it somewhere?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xeeko, I understand what you mean. My game potentially is going to be quite large. After reading your post, i checked mine and even with one level it was 45MB!! It's also running 4 layers.

I then removed any links to sound and the size dropped to around 2mb.

Tried to export using the NG flash version but had some issues, but at least i know that it was the sound that was causing issues (and after it converts to mp3 im sure it wont be too bad).

My only issue being that even with one level being 2mb - i was planning on around 25-30 levels, which might make the game too big.

Might have to seriously cut down the levels and make a better version for ipad or something if i want to go that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In regular flash I know you can link to files that you put on a server somewhere, and then, for example, load the music file separately for a level when that level starts. Can you do something similar in mmf?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Xeeko
    In regular flash I know you can link to files that you put on a server somewhere, and then, for example, load the music file separately for a level when that level starts. Can you do something similar in mmf?
    I haven't tried it, but yes I believe you can. I think you might need an extension though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast