User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: That's a lot of virus warnings...

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a lot of virus warnings...

Hello! So, after having used the demo for a while, I decided to buy the full product to work on a Mega Man clone! I got a fair bit done on the demo, but after looking at some of the extensions, I realized I should really look into the full program and some of the expansions.

So, I purchased MMF2 standard, and quickly zipped over to download the expansions. Upon installing them, and purely out of habit, I decided to toss all the added content into a couple of .rar files and throw them on jotti. Needless to say, when I saw this, I was a bit shocked...

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5347/virusesu.png
    (or if it works) http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/7c27315ab1c70404b12d34619fce93f025d9cfc3

So now, I just kind of feel uneasy about the whole thing... Why are there so many virus flags popping up here? I downloaded the game from the clickteam site direct downloads... Is this normal to be seeing so many? Which files would be causing this? And what should I do? I don't really like the idea of so many potentially infected files sitting on my machine, on a program I really want to use...

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Re: That's a lot of virus warnings...

What anti virus program are you running?

There are 2 possibilities:

1 - You have a virus but you would see other files on your computer are also infected.

2 - The anti-virus product your using is out of date or doesn't work very good. Some anti-virus products have a problem with false positives and some MMF related extensions/games. You can send the anti-virus product a report of a false positive.

One common problem is kcmouse maybe delete that extension and see if more scanners report your rar as clean.

Downloads from our server does not contain virus files -- Those scanners are just plain wrong.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run Microsoft Security Essentials on my machine, but it's not the one that picked anything up. Jotti is an online scanner that uses a collection of virus scanners (each one listed; Kaspersky, norton, avast, AVG, a whole bunch of them) and gives you the results of each.

Scanned again without kcmouse included -- Came up much cleaner. Quick heal was reporting something had "Trojan.Agent.dkva", but, with only one scanner reporting something as opposed to 7, I am much more inclined to accept that as a false positive.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Would be more helpful if we got it narrowed down to certain extensions like how KCmouse causes an issue.

Then we can send just that one file to the scanner companies or perhaps change the file so it avoids false detection. It would be nicer if the scanner companies built a higher quality product but that will never happen

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I scanned kcmouse alone and it came up with 7 detections. Unfotunately with this service, you can only scan one file at a time. In this case, I divvy up the files into halves, and when one comes up clean I delete it. When it comes up infected, I divvy it up again, halving it each time 'till it becomes easier to narrow it down to one.

Seems okay now. Looks like it was just kcmouse being a fiend! Any idea why scanners would dislike the extension so much?

EDIT: Looks like kctaskpr.mfx was also coming up as a false positive with quick heal

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kcfloop.mfx under /data/ also comes up as W32/MalwareF.HFYO under F0prot and Trojan.Agent.dozw under Quick Heal. There's no documentation under either of these viruses when you google them though, so, I assume that's a good sign.

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used both McAfee and MSE and neither have ever detected anything related to MMF2. Don't use Jotti.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiyoMeow
    Looks like it was just kcmouse being a fiend! Any idea why scanners would dislike the extension so much?
    It probably has some code in common with a real virus. Since it can read/write the cursor position, that doesn't really surprise me.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually kind of doubt that. Plenty of applications can change the mouse position or make changes to the system without being reported as malware, yet (apart from the runtime) it's MMF2's system and mouse extensions that frequently is labeled as malicious.

My guess is that someone have created malware in MMF2 using those extensions, and when an antivirus company have a look at them, they label the runtime or one of the extensions as the malicious part. I don't expect them to figure out it's the events that controls what the program does.

Of course I can be wrong, I'm not expert on the subject. I just thought that would make sense.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, it's possible to create malware in MMF2? I never would've guessed. I guess I don't give the program the and recognition for its power that it deserves.

Still, it's reassuring to hear that MMF2's extensions are commonly mistaken for malware for other people, too >< Was worried something was wrong in my system for a bit there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast