As some of you are probably aware of I'm currently working on a new version of my Box2D extension. I've finished up the basic features and is now ready to have my first public Beta. Note that this version is not backwards compatible with the old one, but most features will be present so a manual update should be possible in most cases.
Some things have changed though as the main reason I made a new version rather than updating the old version, was that the old version used a heavily customized version of the Box2D library which made it practically impossible to upgrade. This time the library is mostly untouched so updating should not be a problem in the future.
So what's new? Well, first off Controllers and the String Interface is not yet implemented. Controllers are not part of the Box2D library by default so they have to be added manually, which I will attempt later when everything else is working. The string interface simply require a lot of work and is a non-vital part of the extension, so it's been put on hold.
Here's a list of things that've changed:
- Shapes now have their own unique ID's making it easier to track a single shape. The old method of refering via the body is still available though.
- Objects can now be directly attached to single shapes for use with the object interface.
- The menu have gotten an overhaul, I'm experimenting with a dialog box to chose the reference type (by Body ID/Object) amongst other things.
- Most Limits have been removed, there are no longer any limits in the Box2D library so it felt stupid to include them.
- Definitions have been changed to use a system similar to bodies/shapes/joints. Makes them a bit easier to use.
- Collision handling has been improved and thanks to the ObjectSelection API posted somewhere on these forums, it's now comparable to MMF's collision system in terms of functionality.
- Lots of minor changes and other stuff I can't remember at the time of writing this list.
A manual is currently being worked on and there are plans to create tutorials for it as well. These will be released once they're done.
Remember to report any bugs or feedback. I haven't tested this as much as I'd like to so there's probably quite a lot of bugs in it.