Thread: Reducing build size

Clicker SWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reducing build size

I need some advice.

My rpg mfa is 100 MB, and the swf build is 73.4 MB.

I am worried that the swf file is so big and takes so long to load (around 3 minutes) that people won't wait around to play it.

While I am sure this may have been asked in another thread somewhere, what are good ways to reduce build size without compromising quality?

I have heard that sound files take up a lot of memory, but I don't want to delete any music or sound effects.

I don't want a big drop in graphics quality either.

Any tips?

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Reducing build size

It may only take you 3 minutes to load it but for most users that sort of file will take a mighty long to load!

I'd suggest trying to mess with your bitrates (you'll need to change the frequency as well to get it to work). That still won't be enough though I'd guess...

Most sponsors won't go for games that are bigger than 10mb's but yours is an RPG and you may well have a bit more leeway because of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Steven.

Actually, the 3 min load time is what I get running it off my website - but I do have DSL, so you may be right that others may have longer than a 3 min load time.

How exactly do you "mess with bitrates?"

I did an experiment and deleted one of the 30 frames from the game, and the build size only went down to 73.3 MB. Clearly, some things take up more space than others.

Anyway, thanks.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you want to reach big audience for your game as flash version, you will need to dramatically cut down the filesize (10 Mb is maximum in many portals) and this involves either reduction in quality or content.

- Try to reduce the bitrate for MP3 compression to 64 kbps and frequency to 22050 in application properties.

- Try to set the graphic mode to 65K colors (save your mfa first and save the 65K version to another file) and see if the loss of quality is tolerable.

- Try to upload your music files to a server and stream them in the game by using Flash MP3 extension instead of including everything in the swf. This option can reduce the filesize by even tens of Mb's if your game has a lot of music, but the downside is that you will need the server and bandwidth to handle the streaming, and there is obviously some lag when loading the music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steven and MJK!

Just making those changes cut the swf file size down to 47.5 MB!

Even though the file is still big, it will help.

I guess I never thought ahead about how large the file would be when I made it.
    There is no way to get it below 10 MB...
    I have learned a hard lesson, but at least when making the sequels I can make them smaller.

Thanks again for the advice

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anyway of splitting the game up in to parts? So you'd get 3 games out of the one?

I'd suggest that 15-20mb's might be OK for an RPG game but with that file size you're unlikely to get very many plays

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drop my audio down to 48kbps. Sounds fine and might save you a little space over 64kbps. Though at 48kbps, you might hear 'clipping' on your audio. an easy fix for that though, is to add a little bit of silence to the end of your audio files.

I've also noticed that if you reduce your art down to 256 colors before importing, it will reduce the file size a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip pineapple.
    Going from 64 to 48 kbps dropped me to 46.8 mb vs. 47.5 mb with 64 and no real difference (to my ear) in sound quality.