Thread: [HELP]Screen Resolutions Done Right

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[HELP]Screen Resolutions Done Right

Hi guys!

You've been a great help for me in the past, and I thank you a lot for that. Now here I am again with a question that is of great concern to me.

My game is meant to be in 16:9 resolution, but I don't want to upset users with 4:3 monitors. Also, I would like to have different resolutions like 480p or 720p, windowed or fullscreen modes etc.

I have tried around with the Window Control object, but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't scale exact, I don't know why. Also there are problems with the scaling when I change to fullscreen or window mode, different resolutions get screwed up etc.

Also when I use events like "always -> change resolution to X", it seems to have some slowdowns, but when I use only one event, it screws up sub applications.

Also it would be nice if there is a way to add black borders when in 4:3 resolution so the characters don't look like they come from spaghetti land.

I haven't found any example files for how to properly use Window Control for that kind of stuff - or maybe there is an easier solution for this? I would highly appreciate any help you can give me on that subject, because I don't want to upset users with my own crappy work-arounds

Thanks and have a great day!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [HELP]Screen Resolutions Done Right

I don't think MMF has been made yet to accommodate wide screen monitors stretching your game out.

To make Window Control Object stretch your application properly, put in these formulas but replace the numbers with your own numbers.

320+WinXSize( "Window Control" )-ClientWidth( "Window Control" )
    240+WinYSize( "Window Control" )-ClientHeight( "Window Control" )

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is just off the top of my head, I don't know if it will work, but if you set the application properties to stretch to fill window and the also tick the keep aspect ratio, it might give a widescreen display with black borders on the top and bottom of 4:3 monitors. The only other way around it would be to physically create multiple copies of your game at different resolutions and have the player launch the version they want to play based on the type of monitor they have.

I don't know what you mean when you said you want to also accommondate 480p and 720p. I think you're referring to Hi-Def resoluation display here, and if that's what you're aiming for, you're facing a world of bother. Designing games for these resolutaitons will mean you won't get fullscreen as there is no fullscreen monitor resolution of these settings. If you want to design a game for Hi-Def you have to go with 1080p as that's 1920 x 1080 and that is a valid PC monitor resolution but at such a high resolution there will be a LOT of stuff going on on screen and you may experience some slowdown during play.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you'd better make your game 4:3 and add black borders automatically using "keep aspect ratio" option.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've made my game 4:3 and I have a 16:9 monitor and "keep aspect ratio" doesn't put black borders at the sides of my display in my game when it goes to full screen mode in 320x240.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland
    Designing games for these resolutaitons will mean you won't get fullscreen as there is no fullscreen monitor resolution of these settings.
    Actually, 1280x720 does exist, and is 16:9 resolution. 16:10 is the best though, and is approximately equal to the golden ratio. Which means the greeks used it. Do you want your game to be shunned by the greeks? No? I thought not.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started (or came to 50 percend of it) my game "Pitiri 1977" with 16:9 not knowing about the screen issues of mmf2. I tested the game on a lot of screens and I found out the already 4:3 posted sollution is simple and works. I made my game 800 : 600, created a custom 16:9 black bar (top & bottom) and put it on the top layer, which also includes the hud and stuff. This layer is set to x & y: 0. It works on every screen and is a save solution. You kinda loose a bit of your game area but thats ok.

best,

Jot

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland
    Designing games for these resolutaitons will mean you won't get fullscreen as there is no fullscreen monitor resolution of these settings.
    Actually, 1280x720 does exist, and is 16:9 resolution. 16:10 is the best though, and is approximately equal to the golden ratio. Which means the greeks used it. Do you want your game to be shunned by the greeks? No? I thought not.
    Thanks for the clarification, Jacob.
    KnightTrek Productions

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the help so far!

Which event should I use to set the resolution? Always? Or at start of frame?

Also which resolution would you suggest? I was thinking about 480p and 720p settings, because I imagine everything lower than that is too small.

And how do I put black bars on monitors that go fullscreen in 4:3 ratio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue66
    Thank you for the help so far!

Which event should I use to set the resolution? Always? Or at start of frame?
    When I'm making stuff with MMF, I decide on my resolution initially and set up the application properties accordingly. I do not use any events to set the resolution so I can't advise you on this.

Also which resolution would you suggest? I was thinking about 480p and 720p settings, because I imagine everything lower than that is too small.
    Only you can answer this, but if you design for widescreen, your game will not work properly on a 4:3 monitor; either part of it will be off the screen and the player won't be able to see it or the display will be squashed to fit it onto the screen. That is, unless my suggestion above works by placing black borders on the top and bottom of the screen.

And how do I put black bars on monitors that go fullscreen in 4:3 ratio?
    As I said above, in the application properties set the game to fill the screen size (or use Change resolution mode but this might give weird results on a 4:3 monitor), and set it to maintain the aspect ratio. I don't know if that will work by placing black borders at the top and bottom of your game, I know it puts them on the sides for 4:3 games on widescreen displays.
    KnightTrek Productions

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast