Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question about character creation

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about character creation

Perhaps you've played games such as "Tiger Woods PGA Tour", nearly any sports game, in fact. Maybe you're familiar with "The Elder Scrolls" series. At any rate, if you can think of any game in which it allows you to create a character, you will have an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

When thinking in terms of character creation, (Changing the look of the character which the player will control), the process can be very in-depth. Everything from choice of nose, to hair length, to color of skin. That said, I was wanting to simplify it in a way and perhaps offer a few options for the player to select from when starting a new game.

Though, I've gotten quite good at understanding the way to make the appearance on the screen change, via saving images of hair and facial hair and even the color of the skin. My question is how do I take what the player has selected and transfer it to a usable, movable icon. It would be easy, (And I've done this before), to overlap active objects in layers of sorts and then load the correct layers everytime the frame changes. This would be useful in creating still shots and images of the character. What I don't however, understand is how to create the "dummy" player icon, complete with simple movements. For instance, the idea is to take an active object and then change it's appearance, dependent on player's initial selection. Is that even possible, or would I have to create a seperate icon for each possible choice of character?

I read somewhere on another game maker forum, that this involves making clones of the active object and then, basically, allowing the player to control not one, but several layers of a character. For instance, you have a "naked", blank character (active), possible dependent on skin tone, then you create a completely different active object for the characters hair which moves according to the way the player moves. Then one for the player's beard which moves as well. By keeping them constantly in the same position and moving them simultaneously, this would, therefor give the appearance of a single character when moving and acting.

Anyway, what do you think?

UPDATE: By the way, is there a way to take a screenshot of sorts during the application, of a certain portion of the screen, thereby doing away with the need to reload all the layers of a still image, say for a menu shot of character. Like, instead of having to load Nose, Eyes, Hair, etc. You could just load the image file which was saved in game. The player creates the character, the application takes a snapshot of the image the player created and then loads that.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A question about character creation

I was thinking before I read your fourth stanza about how to pull this off that that is exactly what I would do but it would require a bit of work to make it synchronized in animation and position but this should be easy in theory, just tedious.

As for your second question, the only way I know how to pull this off IS to use duplicate active objects of the in game player character and change them to what is displayed in that saved game when the saved game is listed in the menu or whatever. Just make the "layers" global objects and if you keep them synchronized any changes made should carry over to the other frames.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For customization, it depends on how much you want to customize.
    One way to do it is to divide the character into head, upperbody, lowerbody, arms and feet. These parts will be their own object and you give them diffent animations according to what graphic it should use.

Then you have to decide how to link them together.
    In most cases your actual player would be a hidden active object that's is use a filled rectangle or the shape of the character. If your character will have lots of animations and details are important, you could go for the method you mentioned in above, and give all the parts a hotspot related to the mainobject's hotstpot.

If you want to add weapons or other items on the character, you can for instance give the arm object an actionpoint in the hand, and always set the weapon's hotstpot to the arm's actionpoint.

You might also get some ideas by looking into my Bodyparts tutorial that you find in the Tutorial section of this site, although I know that is not exactly what you are after.

For your final question, you have the Screencapture object that does exactly that. I believe you allready have it if you have MMF2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think there would be a shortcut That's not good. You're right, a lot of work will go into it. But maybe I can pull it off.

As far as the second question answer, by synchronizing them, you mean when starting new frame, make sure they are all lined up correctly? Or maybe a Global Event, where an Always condition applies, keeping objects a, b, c, etc. in the exact same position at all times? I was thinking I could make like an invisible 'hot spot' player icon, which was like the theoretical magnet to where all the actives gathered. Does that make sense?

Preciate the help, Corlen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Popcorn. I'll checkout the tutorial on Body Parts. I never thought of it that way. As in, breaking it down into parts. Should be an interesting read. I'll also look into the screen capture object.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2Android Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's what I meant by syncing them up.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can think of only 1 more way you could do this so you do not have to sync everything every time the player moves.

When the player has chosen there character details have a small loading screen and call it for example "building character" so the player knows why they are waiting, and on that loading screen put all the details of the sprite together in a small boarder and copy+crop the image to an external sprite sheet file.

Then in your game just load up the necessary sprite image.

Some small suggestions:
    1: Every player could have there own save folder so more than 1 person can play the game on a single computer.

2: Save folders could be packaged and encrypted for security.

3: Player Character Sprites can be saved in the players save folder for future access.

4: If players register on your website, certain sprites could be uploaded for display on there profile page. (front, back, side, attack stance, ect...)

5: You could fully interface your game to your website to display stats, latest players, player scores, ect...

I hope you find some of these ideas useful, i have done all of this in the past just to see what i can do with MMF2Dev, however i have never released anything like this to anyone, it would be nice to see some of these suggestions being used in a mmf made game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like these ideas, Spryz. Alot! Just a major problem. I don't really understand how to create an 'external sprite sheet'. Would this be by using the Screen Capture Object? I've been trying to put that to work. I made like an example of the 'Character Still Photo' I was discussing before, using the 'T' button to take a picture. However, when I go to the folder, where I wanted it to export, there's nothing there. Also, I did a search on my pc, and did find one image, but it says it cannot open the file because it's 'empty'. So basically, I'm not sure if I'm using the screen capture correctly. A few questions which may help me:

Does the screen capture object by default always produce a 'bmp' file? How does the 'start and stop automatic capture' work? When setting up the Screen Capture Object initially, the help files elude to the fact that you can select an area to take the picture of by 'dragging' a box. However, I can't see a box to drag when I press 'OK'. Does this mean that the little icon representing the Screen Capture Object is where the focus of the picture is? For instance, the little '32 by 32' icon would be all that was taken if I didn't stretch it?

I've been playing around with it. If this works, it will do away with the need for the layers and values representing layers for the still picture. In essence, I'll just be able to save the screen capture image in the proper save slot folder, and then, when I want to activate the menu, with a view of the 'still_character' image, all I have to do is call it, saving a lot of time.

Spryz, this is a good bit of ideas. In fact, all of you have opened my eyes to the many options available. I'm big on customization in games, and I've tried to implement things like this several times. However, I'm never able to get it down to a science by myself. Maybe with you guys helping me, it will finally work out.

Thanks again.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)SWF Export Module (Steam)Firefly 3D Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When i created my sprites, i used a subapp for a smaller frame in the same application to grab the full frame as i am not too sure about grabbing certain areas of the frame as this i have not done yet.

If you use the Screen Capture Object to grab the frame, output to clipboard and then use the Image Manipulator Extension to grab the content from clipboard and save to any of the following... BMP, JPEG, ICO, PNG, TGA

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please use PNG; BMP is uncompresed, JPEG and TGA are lossy, and ICO is for icons, which can't be larger than 256 by 256.
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast