User Tag List

Thread: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RAIL TRAVELLERS

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RAIL TRAVELLERS

Calling all CC 2011 Conventioneers:

For those of you who will be travelling by train to Cambridge, please take note of buying tickets in advance. If you purchase a rail ticket in advance from a site such as www.nationalrail.co.uk, your ticket will be tied to specific trains.

When buying tickets on these sites, you are presented with a list of train times to pick from. The result, your ticket is tied to those specific trains. If you get to the train station early and board an early train to Cambridge (or back to London or where ever), or get to the station late and realised you have missed YOUR train and board a later train, your ticket is NOT valid for those trains. The ticket conductor can (he may not) charge you again for a new ticket despite you having paid already for your advanced train ticket.

It may be better to wait till you get to the train station and buy your ticket there for your destination. It may cost you more then buying in advance, but at least your train ticket will not be tied to a specific train time. You can save some money by buying a return ticket, don't by one-way to Cambridge and one-way back home, buy a return ticket for the days you need, but do remember you'll have to keep that ticket safe for the duration of your time in Cambridge.

If you wish to puchase in advance, make sure you allow yourself enough time to catch the train you're buying a ticket for. It's better to be sitting at the station watching earlier trains to your destination leave without you because you have to wait for a later train, then to get to the station and realise you've missed your timed train.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RAIL TRAVELLERS

+1 I personally recommend for buying Return tickets at place, rather than in advance.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For long distances I suggest an advance ticket, it's just so much cheaper. Yes you are tied to a specific train at these fare prices, but the savings can be huge. A single advance ticket from Bath Spa to Cambridge is only £13, where a ticket on the day is £57.00 off-peak and £94.50 anytime. You can get cheap advance tickets from selected "important" stations. If you want to save money you should see if there is a station further along your journey that you can purchase advance tickets to/from. Cambridge seems to be an important destination in that respect. Note you must get on/off the train where your ticket says you must, otherwise you will have trouble at the ticket barriers. Strangely it can end up cheaper to go somewhere that is farther.

Also you can still buy tickets in advance and not be tied to any train. If you cannot rely on yourself to catch your specified trains I recommend this option. You are given a reservation for your chosen train (where reservations can be made) but you are not obliged to use it. You can use any train that the ticket is valid on, which is normally limited by peak and offpeak times. I would rather buy an offpeak ticket in advance and get a reserved seat if I end up using the train I was thinking of using in the first place.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MattEsch
    A single advance ticket from Bath Spa to Cambridge is only £13, where a ticket on the day is £57.00 off-peak and £94.50 anytime.
    EEK [blush]!!! Where did you get this information from? My research for tickets from London Liverpool Street to Cambridge was £19 advance purchase, £27 to buy at station. Yes, there is a cost increase but not on the scale you've presented. Are you sure about those prices? I'm going to go check my research again just to be safe, thanks for the heads up.
    KnightTrek Productions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, I've just checked my prices again and again it's only a minimal fee extra to buy the ticket at the station instead of online. Perhaps that's for London Liverpool Street to Cambridge.
    KnightTrek Productions