User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do i make a select screen for a fighting game?

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do i make a select screen for a fighting game?

Looking for help on this I have started building a game and i have no idea where to start. right now i just need to understand how to make a select screen i have made a few platf. games but this is my first attempt at a select screen

thanks for any help you give

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How do i make a select screen for a fighting game?

What do you want the player to be able to select? "select screen" is very, very generic and could mean anything, I have little to no idea as to what kind of select screen you want - Menu, Level, Difficulty, etc?
    Working as fast as I can on Fusion 3

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more of a mortal kombat or street fighter select screen

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2SWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, then you'd probably want a selector for the characters, then?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lastlightstudios
    Looking for help on this I have started building a game and i have no idea where to start.
    My question to you would be, are you sure you're up for the job of creating this game? If you're new and trying to learn MMF, making a fighting game with character select is no easy job.

Giving the player a character select screen opens up a whole hornets net of coding nightmares, believe me, I'm in the middle of one right now! The way it works is, you create a screen with your characters on it and allow the player to pick one to play as. You then note their selection, use a Global Value is easiest, but then, for every level that the player can play in, you need to code for every possible character that the player can select. Your coding has to take into account every possible encounter the character will have in the game, and then you have to program for that for every character in your character select screen. Movement, collisions, animations, data values, it can be a nightmare at times!

Giving the player a character select screen is great fun, but coding it throughout your game is not! Definitely not something to be undertaken lightly.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Boland
    Quote Originally Posted by lastlightstudios
    Looking for help on this I have started building a game and i have no idea where to start.
    My question to you would be, are you sure you're up for the job of creating this game? If you're new and trying to learn MMF, making a fighting game with character select is no easy job.

Giving the player a character select screen opens up a whole hornets net of coding nightmares, believe me, I'm in the middle of one right now! The way it works is, you create a screen with your characters on it and allow the player to pick one to play as. You then note their selection, use a Global Value is easiest, but then, for every level that the player can play in, you need to code for every possible character that the player can select. Your coding has to take into account every possible encounter the character will have in the game, and then you have to program for that for every character in your character select screen. Movement, collisions, animations, data values, it can be a nightmare at times!

Giving the player a character select screen is great fun, but coding it throughout your game is not! Definitely not something to be undertaken lightly.
    I'm not new to it i have mad a few games such as strange world 101 and so on..

but just understanding what coding goes where is what i'm stck at i have mad all my char. and select board i'm trying
    to understand this i just need like a layout i guess

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an idea where you should start, and it's not the selection screen.

I believe you create the selection screen last. Just assign different characters a different global variable (ie. 1-10 for the different playable characters). Test the different characters by changing the global value before starting the game.

Once you have an engine that allows more than 1 different character to fight each other, then you can work on the interface.

I'm only saying it because while a character selection screen looks impressive and may appear like your fighting game is 50% complete, it's more like 1% complete.

A lot of people never finish the game engine, therefore time spent making interfaces is wasted time.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    I have an idea where you should start, and it's not the selection screen.

I believe you create the selection screen last. Just assign different characters a different global variable (ie. 1-10 for the different playable characters). Test the different characters by changing the global value before starting the game.

Once you have an engine that allows more than 1 different character to fight each other, then you can work on the interface.

I'm only saying it because while a character selection screen looks impressive and may appear like your fighting game is 50% complete, it's more like 1% complete.

A lot of people never finish the game engine, therefore time spent making interfaces is wasted time.
    I agree with this i will get started on that thanks for your help

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan has the right idea, you assign each character a unique number. So for example, if you have 2 (yes, let's just take 2 for now) characters in your game for the player to select from, you would have a Global Value store which character the player has picked. For this example lets say Character Red is 1 and Character Blue is 2. When the player picks red or blue, you store the corrisponding value in GV_PlayerCharacter.

Then in your levels, you need to code around that Global Value. So to move up,

Player presses Up Arrow
    +GV_PlayerCharacter = 1
    >Move Character Red up.

Player presses Up Arrow
    +GV_PlayerCharacter = 2
    >Move Character Blue up.

To punch:

Player presses Fire Button 1
    +GV_PlayerCharacter = 1
    >Character Red play animaiton Punch

Player presses Fire Button 1
    +GV_PlayerCharacter = 2
    >Character Blue play animaiton Punch

See, every individual character has to be programmed for so for two characters, every programmable event for each character is doubled. If your fighting game has ten characters, that's ten times all your programming for one character. Character selection is great in game but a nightmare to program for.
    KnightTrek Productions
    http://www.knighttrek.com

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i have the basic layout made i'm on the stage part of my game how do i make both fighters face each other at all times?
    and how do i set the cam to fallow both char.?

thanks for all the help guys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast