User Tag List

Thread: VSync Decoupling Questions

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VSync Decoupling Questions

I'm still a little bit confused about how VSync works in a MMF2 application. I know how it works in other games, but I am wondering if MMF2 is different, since FrameRate is directly coupled to the GameLoop speed.

I know that if I turn on VSync with my game's framerate set to 60FPS, then I don't experience any screen-tearing (my monitor is 60hz), however if I turn off VSync, then I do notice some 'choppiness'.

What I am wondering is, if I put my game on someone's computer who has a 50Hz monitor, does this mean that their game will run at 50 "MMF Game Loops" per second, i.e. ~20% slower than designed? Or does this mean that their game will still run at 60 "MMF Game Loops" per second, but it will just display it at 50hz (as how VSync works in most games).

I asked a similar question earlier, but I still couldn't work out the right answer.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: VSync Decoupling Questions

MMF2 does indeed sit somewhere awkward in terms of chronology.

Until recently, multimedia fusion would by default behave as if one unit of time has passed each time the display loop is called, which as you hinted at above; would lead to computer specific game-speed. ( eg. slower display = slower game )

This method ( still supported by disabling timer-based movements in the frame properties ) has several advantages over commercially ubiquitous 'real-time-engines' in that( during lag spikes for example ) display choppiness is eliminated by allowing only a fixed amount of game-time between each successive display update...

However, if the desired frame-rate is continuously unachievable on the target system then the result is a game in slow-motion.

Recently however; a measure called 'Time based movement' has been implemented; which allows position and velocity to be calculated in 'real-time'..
    Since movement is a key aspect in game-play; certain games may need nothing more then this option enabled to appear to operate at speeds independent of implementation.

However this is a stop-gap measure; it imposes a serious miss-match between the default movements and user generated events; this miss-match CAN cause application behavior which is difficult if not impossible to predict.

The two core issues with 'Time based movement' are as follows; controls are sampled only during the display update. quite troublesome, since those controls are acted upon an arbitrary amount of times or a single time with an arbitrary magnitude parameter limited only by the current lag intensity

The second issue is very general and stems not directly from the 'Time based movement' implementation, but rather from user-level understanding of implementation.

As the user sees it; events such as 'always' (who's behavior is more indicative of an event who's title might be 'On display update' ) are expected to occur, perhaps not ALWAYS; but at-least as often as any-other event, this is TRUE for all events and extensions (ignoring ftm immediate events) but is not the case with 'Time based movement' enabled ( in which case all events are given the chance of executing only ( desired frame-rate / actual-frame-rate ) number of time-steps )

Essentially I'm saying,

Timer Based movements are not the silver-bullet answer, in fact they don't help at all unless all the motion in you application is handled exclusively by default movements and there is nothing in the events which are dependent on time synchronization; not reasonable an ask.

However,

Timer based movement does have the essential key to frame-rate independent game-play, even If, only within it's name..

The key, Ofcoarse, is 'Timer'.

Making use of fast-loops this example uses the internal timer function to execute time-dependent game-play at any desired speed, with no respect to the number of display redraws.

Framerate Independent platform example

There is also a Real-Time component in this recent

3D engine example

I hope that gives you some ideas; and please ask if i left anything too vague.

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the very detailed and thorough response SEELE. I really appreciate it!

The game I am currently developing uses only custom movement (i.e. X=X+1), so it is tied to MMF's Framerate property. For this reason, I cannot use time-based movement to "workaround" the problem, and as you have already mentioned, if I could use it I think it would lead to problems since it is a "stop-gap" measure.

Your Framerate Independent platform example is a very good proof of concept, however for my game, I don't think that it's very practical. With many objects on screen it would probably have a performance impact (especially if Pixelthief's grouped fast loops observation has an impact - though I haven't experienced this in my own tests). It is also quite complicated to implement since I would have to do it for many different objects, and I could see how I could easily become confused in debugging.

The concept of using the "timer" variable is still a very good idea and perhaps it can be utilized since it's independent of "Draw updates" - right?

In the end I guess it comes down to the amount of effort to implement independent logic/draw rate, the performance and the gains from having this new feature.

Really... what I am looking for is something that will make my game run with a MMF Framerate property of 60 (i.e. "Game Logic Update Rate"), and display smoothly on a wide range of systems.

I want my game to run at 60 FPS on a monitor with 60hz, but still run at 60 FPS ("logic updates") on a monitor with 120hz or 50hz. I don't want my characters to run twice as fast on the 120hz machine. I want people to play the game on one machine, and then another, and for them to feel the same.

The simplest way to achieve this is to just set the MMF2 Framerate to 60, not use VSync, and turn on Machine-independent-speed (so slow computers don't run "slow"), but this can lead to screen tearing since there's no vsync.

Do you have any ideas on how "timer" can be utilized with a small amount of effort? I am thinking along the lines of:

Code:
    1. dt = (timer - time_since_last_update)
    2. x_position = x_position + (movespeed * dt) [using temp floats]
    3. time_since_last_update = timer
    I think that would work in MMF2. It's what many independent logic/draw engines use.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by netninja
    Do you have any ideas on how "timer" can be utilized with a small amount of effort?
    You have already answered your own question netninja. The code example you posted is exactly what I'm using in all my recent games. Framerate property is set to 60, machine-independent speed is set to off (cause no one has a slow comp anymore).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still secretly hoping for a tickbox somewhere that will just do that for me :P

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well to me it's just good coding habit. See an old platform movement example I posted in the french forum (commented in english):
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicentre/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9910 (thread)
    http://www.clickteam.com/epicentre/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=221&filename=CT BPMv0.2.mfa (file)

The example is based on Dine's excellent bullet-time article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. There's a French forum with completely different content? Who knew!